Best way to troubleshoot supermicro backplane?

I just bought a 36 bay SuperMicro CSE 847 chassis and I am getting I/O errors all over the place. I tried connecting with known good cables (from my old case), just the front backplane, just the back backplane, and then again to my old case. With the old system, no errors. With any combination of the new system I get I/O errors. It seems weird to me that I am getting errors on both the front and back backplanes separately as it's probably not likely that both are bad.

What I am looking for is the best way to go about trouble shooting what could be wrong.

HBA - LSI S3008L-L8e NI22

Well, I have a bit of a weird situation. I connected both backplanes to my RES3TV360 and then to my HBA and now I'm not getting any errors. If I connect the backplanes back to my HBA I get errors.

I'm confused as to why this is happening.  How finicky are these SFF-8643 cables and ports? Could it be a bad connection even after unplugging and replugging the connections several times? In my old set up with the same HBA and SAS expander I had some IO errors and it ended up being bad cables. This ran for several months without problem. Then when I moved my server I had IO errors on two of my drive bays and it has been like that for a while. Seems like the connections might be pretty finicky?