Need to replace a motherboard

My old motherboard has finally given up the ghost. I have ordered a new motherboard and with it CPU and RAM. What steps should be taken to replace the motherboard and maintain the array. Is it as simple as reinstalling all the hardware and uR will just blessedly remember what is what? Or are there more steps to it? I do not have the capacity to rebuild the data on these 3 drives... Yes, it is a small system, but to me, an important one.

I appreciate any help and advice anyone can give me.

Matt

System specs:  3 drive array of WD EARS 2TB

(Original) - scrobbled from an old desktop, sort of a proof of concept.

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe

AMD Phenom 2.7GHz Quad

4GB DDR2 (2x2)

(New)

ASUS M488T-M

AMD Athlon 3.2GHz Dual Core

1GB DDR3

If it is unRAID 4.x, you simply make sure to assign the parity and data disks to their appropriate slots. In particular you do not want to assign a data disk as Parity!

In version 5 it is automatic.

That's about it. And when you have verified that you can access data on your disks, a parity check should be performed.

if any disks want to to be formatted.. stop!

as mentioned, that should be the old parity drive.

since you cant look at your old GUI screen for drive assignments, this makes it a little bit of guesswork. since you only have 3 drives, it should be pretty simple.

here is a good example of why labeling the drive itself can be handy.

So after replacing the motherboard, uneventfully, and getting the system up and running, I happened to find a screenshot that I had wisely taken right off the bat of the disk assignments. Sorta saved my bacon. However, now UR is showing that my 2 data drives are unformatted. This isn't even close to possible given that I had one parity and 2 data drives. By my misguided logic, that would mean that at most (if I somehow still assigned the wrong drive to parity) I could only have 1 drive that is unformatted...

Please explain where I am wrong.

Thanks,

Matt

OK, I know that the drives are in the exact same order that they were before my motherboard replacement. I have sat through an entire parity check. And still both Disk1 and Disk 2 show that they are unformatted, moreover, I can not see or access any data on them. I need some real help here guys.

Thanks in advance.

Really no one has any ideas... :o 

So the only thing I can think of is that the previous array of WD EARS had an MBR that was aligned 4k. Now it is telling me that the MBR is unaligned... Does that mean that I will need to jumper the drives? Previously I had not jumpered anything. And if so, will the jumpering force UnRaid to recognize the file structure? I'm grasping at straws here...

i don't have an answer for you. that was why i said "STOP! if it shows unformatted".

the experts could have defiantly walked you through it.

I am like brain dead right now due this work  project i have going on.

you can try emailing tom with a link to this thread and see if you get a response.

Archived