Need a straight answer please - File permissions and unRAID 5.0

Having a heck of a time with file permissions now that I started using SABnzbd/SickBeard/Tranmission. On 4.7 I just signed in on all my devices as Root, problem solved and no issues. On 5.0 b12a, this isn't the case. Running new permissions, and still using root to write files to the unraid results in some programs not having access to newly wrote files. So I set up a secondary user called "Admin", as suggested on here awhile ago, and gave it read/write to all my shares. This worked great until I started using SABnzbd. I'm unable to access SABnzbd on my PC (the actual program files, not the downlaoded files), I don't even have read access. According to the plugin menu I installed it as "nobody", the exact same user I installed SickBeard under and have access too. I used chmod to make sure these were set to nobody, still nothing.

To my knowledge my secondary user account "admin" should have access to these files.. there's hundreds of "nobody" permissions that I have access too. What is going on? Am I suppose to be using root? Why are file permission such a problem on 5.0...

I have searched on this a ton, and there's never a straight answer given it seems.

Having a heck of a time with file permissions now that I started using SABnzbd/SickBeard/Tranmission. On 4.7 I just signed in on all my devices as Root, problem solved and no issues. On 5.0 b12a, this isn't the case. Running new permissions, and still using root to write files to the unraid results in some programs not having access to newly wrote files. So I set up a secondary user called "Admin", as suggested on here awhile ago, and gave it read/write to all my shares. This worked great until I started using SABnzbd. I'm unable to access SABnzbd on my PC (the actual program files, not the downlaoded files), I don't even have read access. According to the plugin menu I installed it as "nobody", the exact same user I installed SickBeard under and have access too. I used chmod to make sure these were set to nobody, still nothing.

To my knowledge my secondary user account "admin" should have access to these files.. there's hundreds of "nobody" permissions that I have access too. What is going on? Am I suppose to be using root? Why are file permission such a problem on 5.0...

I have searched on this a ton, and there's never a straight answer given it seems.

goto config > folders and set permissions for completed downloads to 770

I already tried that. The entire Sabnzbd folder is still unable to be read/wrote, my finished download folder can be read/wrote though. Running new permissions script fixes it, then it comes about about 10 minutes later.

It seems like I can fix it if I run SABnzbd as root, and SickBeard as nobody. Then just stay signed in as root. That doesn't seem right though...

Is Sickbeard possibly changing permissions in postprocessing / moving?

I had the same issues initially--dir permissions being set to 700 instead of 770--but have everything running smooth now. I did what SeeDrs suggested above, as well as setting the setgid bit on my download dir. One or both of these must have fixed my install or maybe the system finally got the point after I ran chmod a few dozen times.

Now my autoProcessTV scripts aren't showing up even though the directory is correct because the permissions are so screwed up.

It really shouldn't be this hard to get stuff to work on unRAID. I'm been messing with this stuff since 8am this morning, and it's now 10:30.. and i've gotten no where.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a heck of a time getting downloads from SABnzbd/Sickbeard working with the correct permissions.  I am using the plugins, as root (the only way I can get them to launch), and am finding the downloads are coming in as root:root with -rw--rw-----, which wont allow XBMC or VLC to play them.  I am having to edit them manually, which is wearing me out.

I have done the change to 777 in SABnzbd folders area, and tried a bunch of other things (reinstalling plugins after repairing permissions, etc), but am having no luck.  Has anyone found a solution to this?  I'd be happy to launch the plugins as nobody, but they only start as root; maybe thats the problem I should try to fix?

Help..?  (And thanks in advance).

Edit:  Random thought - Should I do a chown nobody, chgrp users on /boot?  Would that cause issues?

I am having a heck of a time getting downloads from SABnzbd/Sickbeard working with the correct permissions.  I am using the plugins, as root (the only way I can get them to launch), and am finding the downloads are coming in as root:root with -rw--rw-----, which wont allow XBMC or VLC to play them.  I am having to edit them manually, which is wearing me out.

I have done the change to 777 in SABnzbd folders area, and tried a bunch of other things (reinstalling plugins after repairing permissions, etc), but am having no luck.  Has anyone found a solution to this?  I'd be happy to launch the plugins as nobody, but they only start as root; maybe thats the problem I should try to fix?

Help..?  (And thanks in advance).

without knowing what plugins you are using for sure (I think you are using the 5.0b11+ version) we can't much help.  If you are indeed using the plugin kind and not my unMenu packages then I suggest asking for help in that thread.

Edit:  Random thought - Should I do a chown nobody, chgrp users on /boot?  Would that cause issues?

No, don't do that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem. I have installed sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato by myself with a little help from this forum.

All my donloads belongs to root and I have not permission to read them as anonymous, nobody.

How can I change my processes to save the files so that I could be able to read them as nobody???

Regards Jens

I have the exact same problem. I have installed sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato by myself with a little help from this forum.

All my donloads belongs to root and I have not permission to read them as anonymous, nobody.

How can I change my processes to save the files so that I could be able to read them as nobody???

Regards Jens

you need to start the applications as nobody and not root.

If you use the plugin available for 5.0b11+ or my unMenu packages they will start them as nobody

BTW, I tried the plugins, but they wouldnt start for me. And I had problem with that I had to reinstall them after every boot. Way to buggy for me...

My unMenu packages have the code to start them as nobody, look through it and find it.

Had you tried the newest unMenu packages.  I have not had any issues with them installing on reboot.

Hmm, how do i do that? sudo nobody before I start the process with the user script in unmenu?

I am NOT using a Plugin or UnMenu package and have set mine up a while back so I probably won't be able to help much more than provide what is in my Go file:

#give nobody shell access
usermod -s /bin/bash nobody

#Find local IP and start SABnzbd on it
su nobody -c "python /boot/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d"

#start SickBeard
su nobody -c "python /boot/sickbeard/SickBeard.py --daemon"

I'm able to play files fine with this setup.  BUT, if I copy files from my Mac to my unRaid box, the permissions aren't correct and I have to manually fix them.  I'm not sure what the solution to that problem is.

Hope this helps!

If I try your script I get an Permission denied when nobody tries to execute the python script. I have also tried with log on as nobody. Same result as before, Permission denied when I try to execute Python script. I hav etried to just enter Python and I get permission denied as well.

I did a chmod 777 on my /usr/bin/py* files. Not any better result either...

Regards Jens

If I try your script I get an Permission denied when nobody tries to execute the python script. I have also tried with log on as nobody. Same result as before, Permission denied when I try to execute Python script. I hav etried to just enter Python and I get permission denied as well.

I did a chmod 777 on my /usr/bin/py* files. Not any better result either...

Regards Jens

YOu probably need to "chown nobody:users THE_ENTIRE_DIRECTORY_HERE" also