What should I be using my cache for?

So I have an unraid set up for my local media. I use plex and other related dockers. I have a 1 TB Samsung m.2 as my cache but there really isnt anything on it. It currently has a 2% utilization. What should it being used for to improve my plex performance? I currentlyuse my RAM for transcoding when needed.

5 minutes ago, CenterRotation said:

So I have an unraid set up for my local media. I use plex and other related dockers. I have a 1 TB Samsung m.2 as my cache but there really isnt anything on it. It currently has a 2% utilization. What should it being used for to improve my plex performance? I currentlyuse my RAM for transcoding when needed.

You normally want your 'system' and 'appdata' shares set to be only on a pool (cache) to maximise performance of docker containers.   You can then enable Exclusive Shares under Settings->Global Share Settings to get even better performance by by-passing the Unraid Fuse layer for such shares.  If the 'cache' pool is a single drive (and thus unprotected) you should install the appdata backup plugin to get regular backups made to another location (typically on the array).

If you intend to use VMs then you may also want the Domains share set to be on a pool.

13 minutes ago, CenterRotation said:

Is there any easy way to migrate my appdata to my cache?

Temporarily disable the VM and Docker services (not just stop the containers) then set the appdata and system shares to primary storage cache, secondary storage array, mover from array to cache. Run mover.

2 hours ago, CenterRotation said:

Is there any easy way to migrate my appdata to my cache?

This is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.