SABnzbd, Couch Potato and Sickbeard; plug-ins, or unMENU install?

JustinChase

I would like to get these installed, and see that they are available as plugins (new in 5 beta it seems), or thru the unMENU program (according to the author).

However, I only see SABnzbd in unMENU.  I don't see the other 2 as options.

Also, it seems the plugins put some pretty graphics/links in the unRAID menu, which seems like a good thing; at least easier access.

So, is one method of install better/easier/newer than the other?  Is one easier to manage than the other?

Also, where/how do I install CP & SB thru/with unMENU, or did I misunderstand some other posts I've seen saying it's possible?

I'm hoping to get this all running over the weekend, if possible :)

I would like to get these installed, and see that they are available as plugins (new in 5 beta it seems), or thru the unMENU program (according to the author).

However, I only see SABnzb in unMENU.  I don't see the other 2 as options.

Also, it seems the plugins put some pretty graphics/links in the unRAID menu, which seems like a good thing; at least easier access.

So, is one method of install better/easier/newer than the other?  Is one easier to manage than the other?

Also, where/how do I install CP & SB thru/with unMENU, or did I misunderstand some other posts I've seen saying it's possible?

I'm hoping to get this all running over the weekend, if possible :)

Download the unMenu ones from the threads and place the files in the packages folder on your flash drive.

The choice of which one to use it up to you.  Most of the complaints I see with the 5.0b plugin is related to wrong permissions and/or the array not starting if the plugin is installed.

The benefit of the 5.0b plugin is that if you hit the stop button on the unRAID web interface the applications will be shut down automatically.  The unMenu packages install a start and stop button on the User scripts page to allow you to stop the app before stopping the array.

Download the unMenu ones from the threads and place the files in the packages folder on your flash drive.

Aha, that's the part I was missing; thanks!  I'll play with it over the weekend and report back if I can't get it running properly.

The benefit of the 5.0b plugin is that if you hit the stop button on the unRAID web interface the applications will be shut down automatically.  The unMenu packages install a start and stop button on the User scripts page to allow you to stop the app before stopping the array.

Any chance the unMENU packages will change someday to not require the separate start/stop button?  or are there technical reasons that this can't easily happen?

It just seems like it would be better if I didn't have to remember to stop the services if/when I need to stop/restart the array.

Just curious.

thanks again for the help.

Any chance the unMENU packages will change someday to not require the separate start/stop button?  or are there technical reasons that this can't easily happen?

Maybe... but not likely.  The 5.0 plugin architecture is the way forward and the reason I have not bothered to write any of my unMenu packages as 5.0 plugins is that I am not running a production version of unRAID that can use them.  Until I start running a version of 5.0 that supports the plugin architecture I probably wont be writing any plugins for it.  Not enough free time to support both.

It just seems like it would be better if I didn't have to remember to stop the services if/when I need to stop/restart the array.

Just curious.

thanks again for the help.

It would be better to not have to do that... but such is life.  Whenever I hit the stop button and the array does not shut down right away I almost always know what is causing the problem.

I currently have the sabnzbd, couch potato, and sickbeard unmenu config that you put together. It works great, and I've been generally fine with using the stop buttons except for some issues have cropped up if I lost power. To that end, I picked up a ups for my unraid server, and planned to have it do a safe shutdown that would be clean with the package for it. However, my concern now is that the unmenu packages for sabnzbd etc. will not let the safe shutdown go through and will hang on the array not stopping.

Is there some way around that, or do I need to swap to a different plugin for these?  To be honest, I'm not even sure what thread here is for the current working plugin separate from the unmenu packages developed by you.  Do you suggest switching to the plugin, and are those more easily updatable when new versions of sabnzbd come out?  As a side note, I'm already on the 5b series for unraid, so that's not really a problem.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help!

I have SABnzbd and SickBeard installed.  they both seem to work okay, but SickBeard hasn't found any shows yet, so I assume I've done something wrong there.

I manually found an nzb and got SABnzbd to download it, and it put it into the correct folder.  However, the folder on the server is called Newsgroups, and the path I used in SAB is exactly the same.  This morning, this folder was empty, and a new folder sat next to it called newsgroups, but was also empty.  I tripple-checked, and turned on view system files and still nothing in either folder.  I deleted the newsgroups folder, and the Newsgroups folder suddenly had the correct subfolders, and the final video SABnzbd grabbed for me.  Very bizarre.  All of this was done the HTPC.

I came into the office and turned on my desktop, and the usershare that contains that/those folder(s) is not available to me on this machine.  I can browse to everywhere else on the network fine, all the other folders on the unRAID box are fine, the flash is fine.  I have it as a mapped drive in windows, and deleted, then re-mapped it, I restarted; still off limits to me :(

Any ideas on what I screwed up?  I have chosen the plugins route, since that does seem to be the future, and it seemed to download and install everything fine.

I also installed couchpotato, but I can't get it to accept the port number 8083, or anything other than 5000.  I just edited the config file, and added a line for port, but it didn't seem to help.  I'm about to restart the box to see if that fixes my restricted access issue.  I will grab a syslog first.

I left all the install directories at the default, so they should all be on the flash drive, but have tried to set the data directories to a folder on the array /mnt/disk1/plugins/{each has a folder here}, and the plugin itself is in this folder also.  couchpotato is the only one that doesn't have anything else in this folder, the other 2 both have config.ini files here and both appear to have my customizations in them.

I thought I had it set this way before I restarted last evening, but after restart, I got the welcome screens again, and had to re-setup everything.  I'm going to copy the .ini files before I restart the array, just to be safe.  If I need to change some permissions or put them elsewhere, please advise, this is all still pretty new to me.

thanks!

Oh, I forgot; is it normal that it takes 5 minutes plus to stop one of the services and have the GUI become available again?  It instantly said "Stopping sabnzbd..." but has been "Connected to media..." for about 5 minutes.  i've stopped each of them a couple of times now, and this is the normal behavior here, but I'm not sure it's "normal" behavior.

Is there a faster/better way than just changing yes to no in the GUI launched from the settings tab?

Okay, I'm getting hang-ups on the attempts to shut down sabnzbd.  If I connect at the box, I can see the commands that have been sent, and the cursor just sits there, and if I hit enter, it takes me back to a prompt.

it's not liking some folders in couchpotato and isn't able to kill sabnzbd, but it may already be stopped, I'm not sure if the unRAID web GUI is correct, but it says (said) it was still running after the first time I tried stopping it from the web GUI.  That was the first time I hit enter on the keyboard connected to the box, then I came back to my desktop and checked and the webGUI was finally back, and it said it was still running, so I changed to no again, and then it said it was stopping sabnzbd, then said that failed so was killing it... then the console got stuck the second time, but after a message saying it couldn't find the PID 47xxx? , so again I hit enter, and now the webGUI won't respond on the desktop.

I have perfectly fine access to the array in windows explorer, but no way to look at the plugins it seems.

Okay, I'm getting hang-ups on the attempts to shut down sabnzbd.  If I connect at the box, I can see the commands that have been sent, and the cursor just sits there, and if I hit enter, it takes me back to a prompt.

it's not liking some folders in couchpotato and isn't able to kill sabnzbd, but it may already be stopped, I'm not sure if the unRAID web GUI is correct, but it says (said) it was still running after the first time I tried stopping it from the web GUI.  That was the first time I hit enter on the keyboard connected to the box, then I came back to my desktop and checked and the webGUI was finally back, and it said it was still running, so I changed to no again, and then it said it was stopping sabnzbd, then said that failed so was killing it... then the console got stuck the second time, but after a message saying it couldn't find the PID 47xxx? , so again I hit enter, and now the webGUI won't respond on the desktop.

I have perfectly fine access to the array in windows explorer, but no way to look at the plugins it seems.

I installed CouchPotato, Sabnzbd and SickBeard as per the instructions from the wiki.  I noticed that using the unmenu scripts cause unmenu to become unresponsive at different times.  So instead, I just shutdown the programs manually, via it's own interface.  CouchPotato can be shutdown by clicking Shutdown (after you click the Gear image), Sabnzbd by hitting Options and Sickbeard by hovering over the first menu option on the left.  When I need to start the services again, I use the button via unmenu, but as I've said, it's unreliable for some reason for shutting down.

You can also do it via command line: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13401

quick question, if I install these on another unraid server can I have the files moved over to my other unraid server automatically in the locations I want?

The reason I ask is I'm a little afraid to install these on my main server where I keep everything backed up in case some dumba** wants to hack into my system.  Am I being paranoid?

• 1 year later...

quick question, if I install these on another unraid server can I have the files moved over to my other unraid server automatically in the locations I want?

The reason I ask is I'm a little afraid to install these on my main server where I keep everything backed up in case some dumba** wants to hack into my system.  Am I being paranoid?

The short answer is 'No'.  Unraid doesn't typically have connection to another server, unraid or otherwise.  Thus plugins that don't expressly reach out to other servers will not have this feature.

Example:  Sickbeard (on tower1) will reach out to a copy of Sabnzbd where you configure it was installed (tower2).  But Sickbeard cannot access tower2 directly to manage files and Sabnzbd can't move files to tower1 after or during download.  The only communication is Sickbeard posting the nzb file to Sabnzbd via it's API.

Further, if linux savvy, you can work out to force tower1 to 'mount' shares from tower2 and viceversa, but there is a high chance you will have dependency issues that you will need to resolve.  IF you do get them mounted, then and only then can the a plugin like sickbeard reach out to tower2 (via the mount) since it will see it as part of the root filesystem and can refer to it that way. (ex: /mnt/tower2/dumpfolder)

Archived