unRAID 5 with ESXi 5 noob help

Hi guys

I am a proud owner of brand new HP N36L Micro Server with 3x3TB WD drives. Yay!

From initial reading, I found that you can run Vmware server with unRAID, so i can put the server to good use. This is where I get mixed up...

Im new to Linux so there is a lot to learn. What i would like to know for now is, can unRAID 5 play ball with ESXi 5?

Here is what i would like from the setup. unRAID running the 3x3tb drives(more to come) booting from the USB. Vmware also running from the USB within unRAID as a plug-in i guess you would call it. My VM disks would be saved on the 250gig and will not be part of the array at all.

I have done quite a bit of reading and can follow instructions without to much difficulty, but need a bit of assistance with putting it all together, where do i start, what do i need, will i run with the latest beta and latest version of VMWare Server?

Looking forward to the support, Thanks guys.

Mark

Great post that is!

Unfotunatly, the N36L does not seem to support VMDirectPath Hardware Passthough!!!, so i can not use this option, unless someone can guide me in the right direction here?

Thanks

Mark

You would have to use the RDM method, but if I recall correctly you will not get drive temps and spin-down.

If you want to use virtual machines with unRAID on a N36L you might be better off looking at getting VitualBox running under unRAID.

As far as i know, with the HP Microserver, you have to use RDM.

The other issue is that you might not be able to pass a 3TB drive with RDM. At least you cant with anything less then ESXi 5

I know there was a 2TB VMDK and Physical disk limit.

I am pretty sure that was changed in ESXi 5? if you use VMFS-5, you can RDM a larger then 2TB drive, but it still has the 2TB VMDK limit?

If that is so, then he is OK.

I have not looked into VMFS-5 support since we are Staying with VMFS-3 for now at work.