Random freezes on Unraid (Parity check?)

Hi,

I would like some help on my setup, it's been some time now that my system freezes randomly, and I cannot figure out why. I just cannot access Unraid dashboard, I have to perform an unclean reboot using power button to have access back on.

I think it may occur while a parity check is running but I do not know the way to confirm it.

Could you please help me to discover what is wrong?

And if it is parity check related, how should I get rid of that kind of problems?

I join the diagnostics files if needed. The system runs since february 2022, no problems so far until I added the parity disk. The setup informations in my sign are up to date.

seifernas-diagnostics-20240222-1756.zip

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Enable the syslog server and post that after a crash.

I have already enabled the syslog server, I took a look at it but I did not find anything on there. I joined the file if you want to have a look.

35 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It is possible you are running into a power issue as the parity check is one time the PSU is likely to be under maximum load.

Is that possible?

I have a 450W PSU, a T1000 8Gb which consume 40w max and a i5 which consume 65W max.

syslog-192.168.1.106.log

Unfortunately there's nothing relevant logged, this usually points to a hardware issue, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker containers/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

I have for now disabled the parity check, I will check if there is any improvement without this enabled. And if there is no freezes, I would have found my problem.

Is that a possibility? I have read that it could come from the SATA plugs on the motherboard, wouldn't be pointed out by the logs?

I will try your solution as well and I will come back to you if anything happens or not.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi,

I am still waiting for an issue, I had one some days ago and I realised that the diagnostics file does not include the defaults after a reboot, so I have enabled SSH to be able to save the diagnostics file before rebooting with the "diagnostics" command as my user interface freezes. Will SSH eventually give me the possibility to perform a clean reboot with the "reboot" command in terminal?

Edited by seifer
1 minute ago, seifer said:

Will SSH eventually give me the possibility to perform a clean reboot with the "reboot" command in terminal?

Not if the system really freezes/crashes.   It has to be at least working at a basic level for ssh to continue working.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi,

I recently got an error in Fix Common Problems plugin :

image.thumb.png.071fb99335db5813eed588f8d91500b0.png

As my server do not stop working, but I ask anyway, could this lead to a freeze of Unraid?

As the processes were killed off, I do not think it could be the case, but who knows...

I can't figure out why I did not get a freeze already since I asked for help, maybe a container was faulty and an upgrade fixed the problem...

I join a new diagnostics file.

seifernas-diagnostics-20240317-1231.zip

Edited by seifer