[SOLVED]Upgrading from 4.7 basic to latest beta with extras like unMENU: How to?

Like the title says. I'm looking to upgrade my basic 4.7 final (no addons like unMENU, etc) to the latest 5.x beta with all the trimmings like unMENU. How to go about this while protecting my data. Some more info on my setup:

Using the same intel mobo used in the first servers sold by limetech for reliability- the asus P5B-VM DO with celeron D 336 (2.80GH 256KB L2 Cache, 533MH FSB) and 1 GB RAM.

I now have more RAM I can add- does it make a difference? (Can go from 1GB to 4GB RAM, with 4x 1GB sticks)

Have 10 Disks, 6 on the onboard SATA ports and 4 on the Promise 4 port SATA PCI card.

Have no cache disk now, looking to have one when I upgrade (I'll still keep 10 disk total configuration). Does it matter where the cache drive is in regaurds to ports? As in, should the cache drive be on one of the 6 onboard SATA ports or is it no difference in speed/reliability to put the cache drive on one of the PCI (not PCIe) cards ports?

I have no back ups of this Data, I would really hate to lose it :'(

Thanks for any and all advice. And yes, I'm scouring the wiki and doing forum searches as well, it's just that I'm sure some here have been through this and I'd really appreciate any pointers/pitfalls to look out for.

I would...

1) Get a back up. 

2) Add unMenu to your current setup.  (Very low risk - unMenu works fine with unRAID 4.7)

Unless you need 3TB drives today (and unless you have them already they will for now be a very expensive option) then I would stick with 4.7.  If it ain't broke, etc.  Or is there some other reason that you are looking to go to version 5?

A bit more RAM will help if you run some add-ons, but should not make a big difference to performance.  It may help a little.

The cache drive should definitely be on a motherboard port rather than PCI for the best speed benefit.

A backup is not possible :-[

I just don't have the drives to do it. I'm running a 2tb parity, the rest of my drives are: 2x750gb, 5x500gb, 1x400gb, 1x300gb. I have only 80gb or so space on the array, scattered across the drives. And I have about 600gb or so of media to go on the array (scattered on several drives, 120gb, 250gb, 80gb, etc). I want to keep the array at 10 drives, parity+9 data drives. So I'm looking to upgrade the 300gb to at least a 1tb, but I am damn poor at the moment, and drive prices have gone bananas.

I was thinking about extra features on 5.x, but since I don't really know what they are, maybe you're right on holding off. I just tend to like the latest and greatest. About unMENU, I see the tutorials about how to install on a NEW unRAID install, but how to add to an existing install?

I just tend to like the latest and greatest. About unMENU, I see the tutorials about how to install on a NEW unRAID install, but how to add to an existing install?

Latest and greatest is all very well, but the trouble with beta software is that it is beta, which means that latest is not always greatest.  Sometimes things break (but rarely in the case of unRAID due to the amount of testing that Limetech would appear to do prior to a beta release), and unless you are in a position to recover then I would stick with what works.

Adding unMenu to an existing installation is no different to adding it to a new one.  This thread gives the main info...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5568.0

I just tend to like the latest and greatest. About unMENU, I see the tutorials about how to install on a NEW unRAID install, but how to add to an existing install?

Latest and greatest is all very well, but the trouble with beta software is that it is beta, which means that latest is not always greatest.  Sometimes things break (but rarely in the case of unRAID due to the amount of testing that Limetech would appear to do prior to a beta release), and unless you are in a position to recover then I would stick with what works.

Adding unMenu to an existing installation is no different to adding it to a new one.  This thread gives the main info...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5568.0

I think I'll go with your advice here. I'll install unRAID and forget about going from 4.7 to 5.x for now.  8)

Archived