I have a question about an upgrade I’m about to make. I want to make sure I don’t mess anything up so I’m looking for advice on what to do.

I currently have two LSI Controller Cards (IT Mode) w/SAS connections. One of them is 16i and the other is 8i…giving me a total of 24 connections to hard drives which is what I need.

Unfortunately, I need to install something on one of those PCIE lanes and so I purchased an LSI Controller Card (IT Mode) 24i. This will free up that slot.

So my question is the following. If I switch these out will it work out of the box or do I need to do something before or after? I’m under the impression that the hardrives are remembered based on serial and so I think it should be OK…Am I correct?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by dcuellar44
Typo

In your description, IT mode(s) => IT mode, it should be fine.

2 hours ago, dcuellar44 said:

I’m under the impression that the hardrives are remembered based on serial and so I think it should be OK…Am I correct?

👍

Wanted to report back and mention that the swap worked out smoothly. I didn’t even bother to put the cables in a certain order on the controller card to the backplane. Just plugged them in and unraid recognized them all and in the order they were before. 

No issues. Started up the array and I was back in business. 

To me, this is something that makes unraidOS so valuable.