Slow transfer rate despite using 2.5Gbps wifi network

Hi all!

Very new to using NAS and I'm having slow transfer speed between my NAS and other clients:

• smb share drag and drop sits around 30Mb/s
  • iperf3 300Mbps (NAS as server and pc as client)

I have an Asus aimesh node in place and my topology looks like

Main router <- aimesh node <- my NAS (placed on the balcony just to avoid noise problem)

and all my other clients are connected to the main router.

What troubleshooting got me so far:

• Dashboard -> interface says eth0 2500Mbps
  • NAS to node cable changed with no improvement
  • Node to main router position altered with link rate sitting around 2000Mbps
  • PC to main outer link rate around 2000Mbps as well

Now, I'm completely lost and desperately in need of help.

Thanks in advance folks!

Edited by jhmikewu
wording

I think we need more information such as are you talking about writing or reading speeds?   Are you doing this to a user share or directly to a disk drive?   What application are you using?

it might be worth looking at this section of the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page. The Unraid OS->Manual section in particular covers most features of the current Unraid release.

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread. It is always a good idea when asking questions to supply your diagnostics so we can see details of your system, how you have things configured, and the current syslog.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, itimpi said:

I think we need more information such as are you talking about writing or reading speeds?   Are you doing this to a user share or directly to a disk drive?   What application are you using?

it might be worth looking at this section of the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page. The Unraid OS->Manual section in particular covers most features of the current Unraid release.

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread. It is always a good idea when asking questions to supply your diagnostics so we can see details of your system, how you have things configured, and the current syslog.

Thank you mate.

1. I went on testing by copying from and pasting to a user share via smb (that is done in a Windows File Explorer). Results are close to 

• writing around 50 MB per second
  • reading around 20 MB per second

2. Fully understood what that doc says. It seems that the two different settings of Array write modes won't be the factor here in play.

3. Sorry for not attaching diagnostics zip and here it is. tower-diagnostics-20191230-1248.zip

4. Also tested earlier using qbittorrent and the download speed could stay around 100 MB per second. Looks like something internal to my network is the problem.

5. Also worth mention, that UNRAID is performing an initial parity-sync. Don't know if that could slow down reading from disks.

Edited by jhmikewu
Added information
11 minutes ago, jhmikewu said:

Also worth mention, that UNRAID is performing an initial parity-sync. Don't know if that could slow down reading from disks.

This will DRAMTICALLY slow down any transfers to/from the array.    With that going on I am surprised you even get the speeds you mentioned.    No point in doing any speed tests while there is an array level operation going on.

12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

This will DRAMTICALLY slow down any transfers to/from the array.    With that going on I am surprised you even get the speeds you mentioned.    No point in doing any speed tests while there is an array level operation going on.

OHH. Okay. I'm running 8 HDDs with 1 SSD as cache. Think that cache helps?

Anyways thank you very much. Guess I can try after that sync completes.

33 minutes ago, jhmikewu said:

Think that cache helps?

Cache could well help as long as the transfer in question is going there instead of via the array.  However even then transfers could be slowed down by the need to check the array for existence of files when you first try to open them.  As I said wait until there is nothing else going on and then do any tests so that you have removed as many variables as possible,

Sorry I have to reopen this topic and seek more help. Since that parity sync finished, the performance has not gone better.

• Iperf3 still tells me the rate is around 300Mbps (PC as client and NAS as server)
  • Drag and drop on Windows File Explorer 70MB/s from NAS, 60MB/s to NAS (weird that iperf3 and copying files have very different results as I supposed iperf3 results normally indicate the actual bandwidth the present network provides)

Still very far off the physical limit of 2.5Gbps.

Diagnostic.zip was attached above... please let me know anything I can do for troubleshooting.

Looks like you have problems with disk6:

Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: ata10.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: ata10.00: cmd 60/40:78:c8:88:85/05:00:25:03:00/40 tag 15 ncq dma 688128 in
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel:         res 40/00:78:c8:88:85/00:00:25:03:00/40 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error)
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: ata10.00: status: { DRDY }
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: ata10: hard resetting link
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: ata10: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: ata10.00: configured for UDMA/33
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdg] tag#9 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=DRIVER_OK cmd_age=2s
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdg] tag#9 Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdg] tag#9 ASC=0x21 ASCQ=0x4 
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdg] tag#9 CDB: opcode=0x88 88 00 00 00 00 03 25 85 68 c8 00 00 05 40 00 00
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: I/O error, dev sdg, sector 13514401992 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 168 prio class 2
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: md: disk6 read error, sector=13514401928
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: md: disk6 read error, sector=13514401936
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: md: disk6 read error, sector=13514401944
Mar  6 20:20:09 Tower kernel: md: disk6 read error, sector=13514401952

This looks like a cabling and/or power problem.   No obvious issues showing in the SMART reports.

Posted (edited)

Thanks itimpi. It's getting more interesting that my inbound and outbound rate seem to have a combined value of up to 1.1 Gbps after I moved to testing on my macbook. (that is when I only copy from NAS rate's 1.1 Gbps and when I do both read and write, rates' like 600 Mbps and 550 Mpbs)

And the post caught my sight. Think it could a mobo setting or other hardware issues. I have really no idea.

I've ordered a wireless card. Hopefully using that card resolves the problem.

Edited by jhmikewu
3 hours ago, jhmikewu said:

I've ordered a wireless card.

Wireless seldom achieves rated speeds in real world environments. Too much ambient radio noise and attenuation. If you are doing speed testing with wireless, best to be in the same room within a few feet of the access point.