Unmountable: No file system

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I was swapping out my parity drive to a larger drive.  During the parity check my first drive showed the following error: 

"Unmountable: No file system".  

I stopped the array, restarted the array in maintanence mode and ran a File System Check on the drive.  I had to use the -L option to rebuild the log. which threw the following error: "fatal error -- failed to clear log:

I still have the old parity drive that I can swap back in, and I also have a spare drive to replace the one that is throwing the error.  my question is this, if I put the old parity drive back in and replace the failed drive, would it still rebuild from the old parity drive?  My gut feeling is that it will start a new parity check and I will lose the data on that drive.

Right now the array is in maintanence mode.

I'm just looking for guidance on next steps if there is anyway to save the data.  If not, I can restore from backup, but I am trying to avoid that just due to the time and PITA'ness of it all.

Thank you in advance

tower-diagnostics-20240314-2113.zip

• Solution
Mar 13 16:16:45 Tower kernel: ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Mar 13 16:16:45 Tower kernel: ata2: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Mar 13 16:16:49 Tower kernel: ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
Mar 13 16:16:49 Tower kernel: ata1: hard resetting link
Mar 13 16:16:49 Tower kernel: ata2: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
Mar 13 16:16:49 Tower kernel: ata2: hard resetting link
Mar 13 16:16:55 Tower kernel: ata2: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Mar 13 16:16:55 Tower kernel: ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Mar 13 16:16:59 Tower kernel: ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
Mar 13 16:16:59 Tower kernel: ata1: hard resetting link
Mar 13 16:16:59 Tower kernel: ata2: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
Mar 13 16:16:59 Tower kernel: ata2: hard resetting link
Mar 13 16:17:03 Tower kernel: ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
Mar 13 16:17:03 Tower kernel: ata2.00: configured for UDMA/100

Constant ATA errors from parity and disk1, check/replace cables (power and SATA) for both and post new diags after array start.

So I replaced the breakout cables to my data drives, and replaced the SATA cable on the parity drive.  I also replaced all the SATA power cables.

I should mention I replaced the PSU and SATA cables prior to this issue.  I was having this issue prior to the PSU swap, and it was suggested that power might be the issue, so I upgraded the PSU to a higher wattage and tier-A model.  

I've attached the latest diagnostics.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

tower-diagnostics-20240315-1512.zip

Looking good so far.  It's rebuilding parity and no errors yet.  I will update this post once the parity sync completes.  I do appreciate all your help.  I wish I had the time to spend learning the intricacies of UnRaid.  

• Like 1