Using NFS for Proxmox VM/CT Storage - Slow

Hi all,

I am running UnRaid on a QNAP TVS-471 with 20TB x 6 - Seagate Exos x20. I'm not running ZFS on Unraid, I'm using the storage in Unraid to store the disks on Proxmox Containers & VMs via NFS. I'm also mounting the NFS shares into the VMs to write files in other shares, I noticed that the performance is incredibly slow which causes the VMs on Proxmox to run slow or at times not boot well.

I reckon there is a bottleneck somewhere but not sure how to diagnose it properly. Here is some additional information. 

3 Nodes on Proxmox running HA 

Dell OptiPlex Micro Form Factor 7010

i7-12700

64 GiB DDR4

1TB NVMe

Storage Server

QNAP TVS-471XT

UnRaid 6.12.8

i7-8700T CPU 

64 GiB DDR4

20TB x 6 - Seagate Exos x20 - (1 Parity)

2TB NVMe for Cache

The 3 nodes and Storage are connected to a Unifi 1G Switch. 

I'm sure there are optimizations that I need to do but not sure where to start.

Edit - Writing this down, I can see that the Optiplex standard NIC and the Switch could potentially be the bottleneck, I wonder if I upgraded the Nics to a 10 gig and get a unifi switch aggregator or a smaller 10 gig switch for the devices if that would resolve it? Before that I'd like to confirm if there any other optimizations that I need to do 

Edited by LegoHouse
Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, trurl said:

Thanks for the prompt response! I read through this and I enabled the cache on the shares that Proxmox is using to use Cache and move them to the array, I'll try to run the VMs again to see if there is a difference

Reading more on this, I do think I did not setup my cache drive properly for the Proxmox related shares and setting the docker containers running on Proxmox to read of the cache, I'll try to read more into this 

Edited by LegoHouse