Trouble identifying source of sudden parity errors (thousands)

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Recently on my last few parity checks I've been getting thousands of parity errors when before I consistently got zero, or 1 or 2. Doing some light research I keep seeing people asking for diagnostics files, specifically after running a parity check without error correction. I've done so, but having trouble seeing someone also explain where to look for the info on what's at error. 

Could someone help me figure out what is causing parity errors, and really I would like to know if you could point me to where specifically I should be looking to where the errors are occurring? My uneducated guess would be a hardware issue. There are no reported errors on any of my drives though. 

Attached is diagnostics I ran recently with error correction off. Below is also a history of my parity checks. 3/5 and 3/11 were error correcting, and once I saw it repeat with similar error count I ran 3-18 without error correcting. 

494331513_unraidparitycheckhistory.thumb.png.bbd6fd8ec849726055a3d754a35c1dad.png

s-cartographer-diagnostics-20240320-1752.zip

• Solution

The two logged parity checks have the same errors, at least the logged ones, reboot to clear the log, then run a correcting parity check, then a non correcting one, all without rebooting, if the second one finds new errors post new diags.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

The two logged parity checks have the same errors, at least the logged ones, reboot to clear the log, then run a correcting parity check, then a non correcting one, all without rebooting, if the second one finds new errors post new diags.

ok, thank you. I will start those now. They take a while to complete so it might be a day or two before I can come back with the new diag. 

You might want to consider installing the Parity Check Tuning plugin.  Even if you do not make use of its other features the Parity History entries will start being enhanced to give more information about the check such as whether it was correcting or not.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 2:10 PM, JorgeB said:

No rush, we will still be here 😁

So interestingly enough, after the 2nd non correcting parity check, no errors. Which is weird because I was consistently getting them from the checks before. Attached the new diag, though. Also I see the history tells you whether it was error correcting or not. I thought I unchecked one previously but apparently I didn't, because this shows the only non error correcting one being the one I just did. So I guess for now I wait and see if the errors resurface. 

image.thumb.png.468f515c1cc592ec54df251bb251ecdb.png

s-cartographer-diagnostics-20240324-1849.zip

Edited by suchamoneypit
8 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

Also I see the history tells you whether it was error correcting or not.

That will be because you had the Parity Check Tuning plugin installed at the time the most recent  check was run.   The earlier checks which do not show the type of check would have been run before installing the plugin so there is no indication of what type of check they were.

• Thanks 1

I did an additional parity check and its also zero errors again. Not sure exactly why I suddenly saw repeated large parity errors and it then went away. I will say that I never rebooted the server in between those so the only thing that's changed is that I fully shut down and restarted the server and then the parity errors stopped showing up. 

Anyways, it seems to be in a good spot now. Thanks for the advice. And yes Itimpi, I am running that plugin now. Thanks for making me aware of that!