Libvirt and QEMU versions

17 hours ago, teitur said:

I noticed that Libvirt and QEMU are out of date and very much out of date.

Is there a reason?

Do we have to update ourselves?

they are normally update in major version 

Currently is 8.1.x for qemu and 10.x for libvirt

• 3 weeks later...

Libvirt is at version 8.7 from september 2022 in Unraid and the most recent 10.2 from april 2024.

QEMU is at version 7.2 from december 2022 in Unraid and  the most recent 8.2.2 from mars 2024

There are no security flaws of note in libvirt but there are some nasty ones in QEMU. Most platforms try to quickly address these, if my machines are compromised due to a a unaddressed bug, my working career is over. 

And Unraids reputation would be very "damaged".

Stability is fine and the reason I had to change from Vmware, GPU passthrough is working.

But confidence in the platform very low for me.

Also the VM GUI in Unraid is so underpowered and bad that I am amazed. Have the developers never seen Vmware?

9 hours ago, teitur said:

VM GUI in Unraid is so underpowered and bad that I am amazed. Have the developers never seen Vmware?

Can you give some examples. There is a feature request for improvements so please add to it.

You can use virt-manager if you want a different interface.

4 hours ago, SimonF said:

Can you give some examples. There is a feature request for improvements so please add to it.

You can use virt-manager if you want a different interface.

I cannot find this virt-manager in the APPS, and have no idea how to instal it. But a youtube video I found looks good.
Why are they not using this as a default VMs manager in Unraid?

I could write a long and detailed feature request list, but this seems to be it, and it's already made for this purpose. 

1 hour ago, teitur said:

I cannot find this virt-manager in the APPS, and have no idea how to instal it. But a youtube video I found looks good.
Why are they not using this as a default VMs manager in Unraid?

I could write a long and detailed feature request list, but this seems to be it, and it's already made for this purpose. 

virt manager is in CA its a docker. 

Virt manager is more for the advanced user. Also it is not a web app.

The existing manager meets most requirements ans ir being improved. It would be useful to understand what you feel is missing. Note it is not an enterprise tool like vmware.

1 hour ago, SimonF said:

The existing manager meets most requirements ans ir being improved. It would be useful to understand what you feel is missing. Note it is not an enterprise tool like vmware

What is a CA? Where can I find that?

I think Unraid is aiming at the SOHO market?

But even if its just the home market it would be silly not to try for gold...

As far as I can see the existing manager has not improved in a long time, (photos of the thing).
Adopt this project, https://github.com/retspen/webvirtmgr it seems to be abandoned. Lightyears easier to adopt this than to spend manhours re-inventing it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SimonF said:

The existing manager meets most requirements ans ir being improved. It would be useful to understand what you feel is missing. Note it is not an enterprise tool like vmware

And I did send in a feature request about being able to change the type of HDD when you manually add it (QCOW2 RAW). And showing information about he chosen image.
it was not responded to and most likely never will be.

Edited by teitur
8 minutes ago, teitur said:

And I did send in a feature request about being able to change the type of HDD when you manually add it (QCOW2 RAW). And showing information about he chosen image.
it was not responded to and most likely never will be.

You can select image type when you add and in the next release will change the extension from img to qcow2 when you create new disks.

image.png

image.png

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

CA is Community Applications, i.e. the Apps tab.

Never needed more than what the Unraid UI provides personally...

image.thumb.png.73455f52232917786977770a7151f018.png

Am I doing it wrong?

"Need" is very open ended.
In a SO and even home you dont want to take the VM offline for minimum adjustments. There is no editing of a running machine, cannot add hard disks, not even change the notes.

4 minutes ago, teitur said:

Am I doing it wrong?

In a SO and even home you dont want to take the VM offline for minimum adjustments. There is no editing of a running machine, cannot add hard disks, not even change the notes.

Used to be on there as it is installed on my machine. Will see where it is this is the docker location https://hub.docker.com/r/mber5/virt-manager

image.png

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Will need to check code but if you had ext of qcow2 it will be set that way and raw for .img

Which is a problem when unraid itself creates files with the .img extension even when you set the type to qcow2. 

Edited by Kilrah
14 hours ago, teitur said:

Am I doing it wrong?

put this file in /boot/config/plugins/dockerman/user-templates/ you should be able to select from My templates. Not sure why not in CA now.

my-Virt-Manager.xml

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, SimonF said:

put this file in /boot/config/plugins/dockerman/user-templates/ you should be able to select from My templates. Not sure why not in CA now.

my-Virt-Manager.xml 2.37 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you very much.

I love this manager and im utterly amazed Unraid does not have this as the default VM manager.

For those not so good at linux (like I am)

usually you can use wget to download files, but not this link. 

So download the file to your computer, then use the Unraid file manager (Dynamix File Manager) to upload the file to the server from your computer. Now I dont know how to navigate to the root directories in the file manager so just put the file in some directory then go to Terminal, find the file and use the command

cp my-Virt-Manager.xml /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user/my-Virt-Manager.xml

I dont know if you have to, but I rebooted Unraid, then go to Docker add container and virt-manager is in the template list.

17 minutes ago, teitur said:

Thank you very much.

I love this manager and im utterly amazed Unraid does not have this as the default VM manager.

For those not so good at linux (like I am)

usually you can use wget to download files, but not this link. 

So download the file to your computer, then use the Unraid file manager (Dynamix File Manager) to upload the file to the server from your computer. Now I dont know how to navigate to the root directories in the file manager so just put the file in some directory then go to Terminal, find the file and use the command

cp my-Virt-Manager.xml /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user/my-Virt-Manager.xml

I dont know if you have to, but I rebooted Unraid, then go to Docker add container and virt-manager is in the template list.

You can export the flash drive so you can copy direct to /boot