Slow USB copy

First, yes, I know USB is not recommended. I'm just getting started with unraid and will be, over time, upgrading my system to an enclosed server with SATA, but right now, I'm in emergency mode as I am moving off of a Synology that is running out of space.  I have a USB Enclosure (OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad) and it's hooked up to a Beelink SEi12 via USB.  I have three drives currently in the enclosure.  2 are in an array (Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12TB), the third is the data I'm trying to copy from.  I have also attempted to copy directly over the 1GB ethernet from the synology using rsync. I have no parity drive installed yet or setup. I was saving that for the end.

The problem is that I am getting about 20-30MB/s transfer speed no matter what I do.  From a USB drive dock, from putting the disk into the enclosure, and then rsync over ethernet.  Sloooooooooow speeds, which means it has to be the write speed.  I'm copying to /mnt/user/media which is where I want my media files to go.

Enclosed is my log. I'm hopeful we can figure this out as waiting 44 hours to copy one single folder is a lot.

Unconfirmed 10845.crdownload

Weird -- I'm not a hardware guy so I trust when the motherboard says it's USB 3.1, I trust it.  I just moved the OWC to use the front thunderbolt port and now I'm operating at 165Mb/s which is much much better.  Not sure why the other ports are coming in at such a slow speed...drivers in unraid?  The USB controller is Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH USB 3.2...color me puzzled. But, regardless, I'm running over thunderbolt now and it's much, much better.  I'll be scoping out a decent case for a real server soon. Too many options and I'm not great at building PC's, so this will be an adventure.

Thank you for the help.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 3:33 PM, rickeames said:

Spoke too soon -- at 77% now, hours later, and we have dropped from my top speed of 170Mb/s to now clocking at around 50MB/s with 4 hours to go.  This is crazy.khan-diagnostics-20240328-1343.zip

I know this is a month ago, but I'm experiencing similar speeds. I got my USB copy up to around 75Mbs, but it's about 8Tb and over 4000 files... I'm wondering if you found any way to speed up a bit? I was getting 50Mbs on a network copy and I thought form sure it would speed up significantly as direct attached... I know parity slows it down quite a bit as well... is there a method to maybe temporarily turn off parity and turn it back on after the copy and let it sync up?