CrashPlan

WallaceTech

Guys.

I am very tempted by CrashPlan. I would be looking to backup to unRaid and then unRaid up to CrashPlan.  I am interested in other that are using the product.

If i am backing up to unRaid and then unRaid to CrashPlan do i just need a licence for the unRaid box or do all of my machines that backup to unRaid need a licence?

Also i back my ESXi guests up to unRaid so will i be able have them sent off to CrashPlan?

May have other questions but that should get me started

unRaid to Crashplan? How much are you planning on throwing to Crashplan? Right now Crashplan has unlimited space but if people start to abuse that I'm sure they will start to scan accounts that are using enormous amount of space. Unless in their TOS or agreements there really is no limitation then so be it. You'll most likely be uploading for a year until it is complete.

You cannot use crashplan to backup a crashplan backup file.

There are important files I put on unRaid that i like to have available for the whole house - like pictures.

I put them on unRaid and they get set to Crashplan.  Since the server is on 24x7 I dont really care that I have a slow pipe to the internet.

I also use my UnRaid server as a local backup of my other PC's.

It is a destination for my laptops and desktops.

Those laptops and desktops also send to crashplan.  BUT with my slow pipe I use my unRaid server as a fast backup location.

unRaid to Crashplan? How much are you planning on throwing to Crashplan? Right now Crashplan has unlimited space but if people start to abuse that I'm sure they will start to scan accounts that are using enormous amount of space. Unless in their TOS or agreements there really is no limitation then so be it. You'll most likely be uploading for a year until it is complete.

I agree with you in principle, but crashplan have said on their twitter feed and in forums that they have people storing dozens of terabytes at the 'people who use us most' level.

They also say they're clearly outliers and 99% of users don't come close to that - but in principle they can and do allow it.

I agree with you that it's not sustainable if everyone did it, but so long as no one does (and realistically not many people will have that much data full stop let alone be concerned about backing it up, or have the bandwidth to feasible do so) and crashplan are currently happy with it I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

Nothing stops crashplan changing their pricing model at any point though - however historically they've been pretty decent about adhereing to what you actually signed up for and also for gleefully taking advantage of other providers reneging on their unlimited promises (cough..mozy..cough) so I'm sure they would be well aware of the fallout if they chose to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/faq/backup#can_i_back_up_my_crashplan_archives_with_crashplan

Can I back up my CrashPlan archives with CrashPlan?

No. CrashPlan excludes its own backup archives from the file selection. This is hardcoded and cannot be changed.

If you'd like your backup data stored at multiple locations, simply back up your files to multiple destinations.