Wireguard Tunnel + Access Docker/VM with different IP than Host + Router does not support static routes

Go to solution Solved by bmartino1,

I was reading on the following thread, that did not provide a solution to the question raised.

I have Dockers and VMs running on a different IP than the Host IP.

1. I have setup Wireguard to connect to the Unraid Server, working fine.

2. I'd like to access now the other Dockers and VMs as well, but based on my current setup there is no connection.

3. My issue is that my Router does not support static routing.

Is there a way to resolve this feature gap my router has?

I am hoping there is maybe a way to let the Host (Unraid) route the call of the remote device to the respective Docker/VM IP?

6 minutes ago, bmartino1 said:

I don't understand the problem.

See my Wireguard Setting:
grafik.thumb.png.6c79317516aa00d473f58d7bff6e3419.png

My Unraid is 192.168.2.201

My Docker is e. g. 192.168.2.208

Access to Unraid works fine, no access to docker on 192.168.2.208 with the above config.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, bmartino1 said:

If you go to settings network settings, you can add a custom IP route

the gateway would be unraid host ip...

and the custum ip scheme...

Screenshot 2024-04-07 134010.png

Done, but address still not reachable:

grafik.png

Running 6.12.10 as well.

Edited by freetgy

it apears taht you are using a bridge netwrok  that is not carring your newtokr settings.

I recommend some down time and switching to a macvaln netwrok driver for dockers.

Since you are using bridge mode. ?you may have a misconfigured docker setting trying to use ipvlan...

step once stop all vm and docker and disable them

step 2 disable bridging. (optional enable bonding)

step 3 go to docker settings. and set 

Docker custom network type:

macvlan

Host access to custom networks:

Enabled

enable docker and enable vm .

tunnel would also fail if docker doesn't have host access to custom networks.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 135723.png

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Under the Peer Allowed IPs field you need to put entries for each subnet you want to be able to access via WireGuard.

i think its the docker setting host access preventing this. I agree that adding the ip scheme there should fix this as well. That is not my current setting to allow access and access the ip schema.

image.thumb.png.17754f7bc02304607aabb8d225b062d1.png

Posted (edited)

OK, trying to follow all your guidances. Step by Step

Added Host Access to Custom Networks on Docker

Added Route from 192.168.2.201 to 192.168.2.208

Docker Setting:

grafik.thumb.png.d0e98e32163dfd386b32190698831d54.png

Example Docker:

grafik.thumb.png.768d2c89e3df47e65bf5189713e98028.png

Network Tab:

grafik.thumb.png.4c11e974c07c236e4fbbf104042f73fa.png

WireGuard

grafik.thumb.png.75650f424cdce762314fc333aa3e1815.png

Result same for me: Access to 192.168.2.201 works, 192.168.2.208 does not.

Rebooting the Server now just in case.

Edited by freetgy
  • Solution
Posted (edited)

Can you access any other 2.x address such as your router over the tunnel? if yes its your docker 2.208 settings. if no its network/routing issue.

Other than the bad route data. as metric should be 1 but that line ipv4 192.168.2.208 wg0 is not a good data rout. that's telling unraid that ip goes to interface wg0 no traffic would be making it across.

I belie you should disable bridging. this may be causing a macvlan trace issue.

Otherwise, set docker setting to ipvlan.

You may also need to reboot the device.

Edited by bmartino1
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

As far as i can tell ipv4 192.168.2.208 wg0 gets added automatically, if i add 192.168.2.208 as allowed peer IPs under Wireguard VPN Manager.

• Removed 192.168.2.208 from allowed peers under VPN

• Disabled Bridging

The Disabling of Bridging did it i think, access to all Dockers works now as well as other network devices and router.

Thank you very much for taking your time of supporting a newbie here. Thank you for your patience, I see i need to learn more network stuff to understand all the mechanics at play in Unraid. Any tips for a good read-up? Also i fundamentally lack understanding on the difference between macvlan and ipvlan. I understand we should use ipvlan going forward as per the latest release notes of Unraid?

Edited by freetgy
1 hour ago, freetgy said:

As far as i can tell ipv4 192.168.2.208 wg0 gets added automatically, if i add 192.168.2.208 as allowed peer IPs under Wireguard VPN Manager.

• Removed 192.168.2.208 from allowed peers under VPN

• Disabled Bridging

The Disabling of Bridging did it i think, access to all Dockers works now as well as other network devices and router.

Thank you very much for taking your time of supporting a newbie here. Thank you for your patience, I see i need to learn more network stuff to understand all the mechanics at play in Unraid. Any tips for a good read-up? Also i fundamentally lack understanding on the difference between macvlan and ipvlan. I understand we should use ipvlan going forward as per the latest release notes of Unraid?

kinda... from other post I have made. Back in unraid version 6.9 eara before docker network of ipvlan vs macvlan, unraid used macvlan for the default network communication. Unraid deves decided to move to ipvaln to fix other issues. tehy weere starting to get isues with how they Handled network bridgining and how macvlan atached itself to gain access. this issues cause a kernel panic call trace which can be seen to be worked on since verison 6.12.x... There dev team has made greate strides to incoperate and maintain. but the default while not setting the correcet settings are network to enable bridigin and macvaln. there is a ongoin issues due to the nature of Nic and promesioc mode. That causes the macvlan trace bug. the fix has been to turn off briding or to use the docker netwrok driver for ipvaln.

I'm a bit old school, i highly recommend this video going over the docker networks.

Please see posts: