I want to improve transcoding for Jellyfin

I have just started using my UNRAID server for watching movies, however the server goes to 100% CPU and the video is jittery. The CPU is quite old, an i7-4771 in an ASRock Z87 Pro4 motherboard. I do have an old AMD Radeon R9 380 lying around. Could I put that in the server and get Jellyfin to use it? Would it improve performance? If not, can you suggest a budget graphics card that would do the job?

I don't think your cpu can transcode x265/hevc in hardware. Thats why it's locked at 100%.

I use a Intel arc a380 card. You can find one on newegg now for $110. It's not supported by unraid until 6.13, but it will work great if you use a third-party kernel. Great bang for the buck.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2024 at 2:02 AM, kaares said:

I don't think your cpu can transcode x265/hevc in hardware. Thats why it's locked at 100%.

I use a Intel arc a380 card. You can find one on newegg now for $110. It's not supported by unraid until 6.13, but it will work great if you use a third-party kernel. Great bang for the buck.

Can you guide me how to make it work? Is there any risk or issue since you use third-party kernel? And my unraid version is 6.12.10. Can it support third-party kernel?

5 hours ago, محمد أشرف said:

Can you guide me how to make it work? Is there any risk or issue since you use third-party kernel? And my unraid version is 6.12.10. Can it support third-party kernel?

I'm running this my self without any problems.

That said, i suggest waiting for the next version of Unraid, it's supposed to be released soon and have native support for the Intel Arc cards.

16 hours ago, Yock said:

I'm running this my self without any problems.

That said, i suggest waiting for the next version of Unraid, it's supposed to be released soon and have native support for the Intel Arc cards.

Thanks for sharing the reddit link. I will try it..