Hello, I'm having a few challenges

I have an 8 year old desktop PC, Gigabyte mobo, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB RAM, 3x8TB HDs, 3x3TB HDs, Gigabit net port. I've uploaded the hardware spec for further information. During a parity check it can take up to 24 hours, and the fastest write speeds I see are 150MB/s, which seems awful slow. Also when writing to the UNRAID over NFS from a Ubuntu 22.04 server the rsync starts at 200-300 MB/s but then slows down to 3.7 MB/sec and slower. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to get more performance.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, segway said:

and the fastest write speeds I see are 150MB/s, which seems awful slow.

That's not that slow, Unraid doesn't stripe disks, so it's limited to the speed of the slowest disk at any point, you can post the diags so we can see the hardware used.

9 minutes ago, segway said:

rsync starts at 200-300 MB/s but then slows down to 3.7 MB/sec

Is the parity sync/check done? If yes post the diags during a transfer, after it slows down.

Posted (edited)

But can you see that the rsync processes are still running from the host? Besides the fact that the parity disk is a SMR disk, do you see anything else that would cause Unraid to stop? a SMR disk is just slower at writing from what I understand. Thanks.

Edited by segway

It appears much faster removing the SMR parity HD, the rsync completed by morning. Have to purchase a new CMR 8TB HD to replace it.

I am seeing an error, rsync: [receiver] chgrp "/disk4/4K/.Doctor.Strange.mkv" failed: Operation not permitted (1).

Are there some NFS permissions I need to set on UNRAID to alleviate this error?

Thanks. 

tower-diagnostics-20240418-0642.zip