3 drives config (no license)

installed unMenu package , SCREEN

all seams to be fine, the server starts, array is running

speed is good for my needs.

however, I am loosing unManu functions after day or two

as in, I can get to unMenu page "//Tower:8080"

I can see the main page and some other like unRaid page, main,

but other functions are sporadic.

some times they work and some times I just get a blank screen with like "e>" or some other strange character or tow at the top left corner and that is it.

server restart fix the problem for another day or two.

have anyone came across something like this?

• 1 month later...

These same symptoms happened to me today, but I got it fixed.

I have been running a unRAID server without trouble using Ubuntu for over a month now. Today, I switched to Windows XP and the problem started. (Only use Windows rarely.) All the the array data functions were working fine, but using Firefox I could not access anything below the main unMenu page. Firefox would hang and give a page error.

Then I went back to Ubuntu and the problem was then there also. A re boot fixed everything.

While trouble shooting, I cycled between Windows and Linux several times and the problem was repeatable. However, it only affected Ubuntu after I had tried to access a unMenu link when in Windows.

The problem was in the  'WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/host'  file. There were two mapping entries for 'tower' in the file. The first line looked like this:

"xxx.xxx.x.xxx  tower# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp."

Farther down was the desired entry:

"xxx.xxx.x.xxx  tower"

I corrected the first line and unMenu now works as it should in both Ubuntu and Windows.

What I think may have been happening is that Windows was not recognizing the host file since it did not start with the correct characters, and Firefox instead was using the IP address in its history to address unMenu rather than 'tower'. So everything appeared normal to that point. The links in unMenu use 'tower' in their IP addresses, but 'tower' could not be resolved without 'host', so the links hung.

The error in the 'host' file was probably there from my set up. It is not likely that any software modified the file, but if it occurs again I will search some more.

However, I was surprised that Windows error could affect Ubuntu, unless the unRaid web server also hung. If the unRaid web server can hang from a typo in an IP address, it might account for a few of the random problems with unMenu.

It is more likely your router is not able to map //tower to its appropriate IP address.  That would affect anything using //tower.

I've never needed entries in my window's "host" files for any of my windows PCs to find my server.  The name is resolved over NETBios for windows PCs. 

I do have my unRAID server set to be the network master browser ("Local Master" = "Yes")  on its settings page.

It sounds as if one of the PCs on your lan that was selected to be the master browser is not accessible at times (perhaps turned off) and as a result your other PC has no way to resolve the //tower name.

I might suggest a search on "NETBios" in the forum to learn more about this.

It is more likely your router is not able to map //tower to its appropriate IP address.  That would affect anything using //tower.

I've never needed entries in my window's "host" files for any of my windows PCs to find my server.  The name is resolved over NETBios for windows PCs. 

I do have my unRAID server set to be the network master browser ("Local Master" = "Yes")  on its settings page.

It sounds as if one of the PCs on your lan that was selected to be the master browser is not accessible at times (perhaps turned off) and as a result your other PC has no way to resolve the //tower name.

I might suggest a search on "NETBios" in the forum to learn more about this.

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at a few of the forum posts on NETBios, and it will take me a while to understand it all. I have never been sure I understood networking.

You are correct, the Linksys router is not set up to map addresses, and I believe there are no master browsers.

When I set up unRAID there were a few glitches, and the forum had solutions for all I encountered. Many thanks to all those that posted, and to Lime Technology for hosting the forum!

The 'hosts' file tip was one of these, and may even have come from you.

...  you can add a single line to your

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.  That one line should be something like

tower 192.168.1.100 ... Joe L.

Once I found something that worked, I went on to the next problem.

So, will there be a performance advantage if I now implement the NETBios procedures? Or, is it OK to stay with the 'hosts' file mods?

I still think having an IP address problem in Windows, which then also affected Ubuntu, and which required a reboot of unRAID to fix, could indicate a bug in unRAID or unMenu.