Green Field install hardlink and split questions

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Just got my unraid server setup and precleared a couple of drives to start my migration.

Following the Trash hard link tutorial I created a data share. My goal is to first mount my existing 18T drive and migrate the data to the new array w/o cache. The current array is 2X18T drives.

After its migrated I'll add it to the array and enable caching etc. But my end result ideally is that data fills up one drive then spills onto the next one, so on and so forth. I don't want the array to spin up all drives because a user is watching a movie or show where bits and pieces are in other drives . Because of this I disabled splitting and just left it as high water mark. 

Currently I have 2 drives in the array and I made my share
/data
-usernet
--complete
---movies

Question:

Now lets say I rsync my mounted media drive from media/.../movies to(mounted drive) to >>> /data/usenet/complete/movies (array share)

because I set highwater mark it should all go to 1 drive first then spill over to the next as it fills right?

Once this is done I'll add in the parity drive but does this sound ok? Anything I need to watch out for?

Posted (edited)

Thanks,

Ended up not doing split and letting unraid just use highwater to drop it into the next drive as it fills up. I think the odds of having a media file thats spread across drives is low . Feel free to tell me other wise but I assume everything kinda sticks together except for the item that is at that watermark line.

For those curious this ended up being my process:

1. Drop in 2 array drives 
  2. preclear them and add to array
  3. mount one of the two mirrored NTFS drives from my original server and rsync the data across to the array
  4. Migrate all starr services and get swing them away from the old server to and get it writing to the array
  5. added in SSD mirrored cache drive pool
  6. preclear the drive from #3 and add it to the array
  7. enable cache pool
  8. add in pre-cleared parity drive (currently in parity-sync stage)
  9. once its built preclear remaining NTFS drive and add it in to the array
  10. once parity is established add in 
Edited by chowpay