Proposed new build - new to unRAID

Hoopster

You also have to be careful in selecting a mini-ITX MB as some only support video cards in the x16 PCIe slot.  There is no mention of this restriction in the Biostar TH61-ITX manual, product page or support forums, so, I hope that is not the problem I am having right now.

Yeah that's the problem i'm finding with mini-ITX boards and this thread brought the board to my attention, hence my post.

I really hope the x16 PCIe slot is not the problem.

Although I have not yet determined that the PCIe slot on the Biostar board is a problem, I have been looking at alternatives just in case.  I contacted Intel regarding the DH67CF mini-ITX board

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh67cf.html?wapkw=Dh67CF

According to Intel, although the x16 PCIe slot is designed primarily for graphics cards, it will support any industry-standard PCIe card and not just graphics cards.  It also (obviously) has an Intel NIC controller (82579V) and not the Realtek 8111E.

That's almost the board that we are using for our pocket sized ESXi box  at work.  We have the Intel DQ67EP Instead. I do Recemend this for almost any application including a  SFF server or desktop.

It is pretty sold board.

We did have an Intel NIC in the PCIe slot.

The downside to that board that the 82579V. It is not natively supported by ESXi and you have to hack in a driver. It is also not supported by unraid until V5beta4 and up i believe.

• 8 months later...

Hoopster,

Getting ready to build a system in this case, and am curious about two things:

(1)  The ATX PSU is obviously a tight fit (but DOES fit).    If you had it to do over again, would you use that unit again;  or would you use an SFX PSU to allow more space in the case?

(2)  What are your typical drive temps?    ... and how hot do they get during a parity check (after a couple hours)??

Hoopster,

Getting ready to build a system in this case, and am curious about two things:

(1)  The ATX PSU is obviously a tight fit (but DOES fit).    If you had it to do over again, would you use that unit again;  or would you use an SFX PSU to allow more space in the case?

The Corsair 430CX PSU works in this case because it is only 140mm (5.5 in.) in length.  Any longer would be a definite problem.  There is room to tuck cables in between the PSU and drive cage.  Of course an SFX PSU would give you even more room and probably a little better air flow.  I have been happy with the Corsair PSU and I would be happier if it were modular because I could eliminate one unused cable.

(2)  What are your typical drive temps?    ... and how hot do they get during a parity check (after a couple hours)??

My parity drive is a 3TB Hitachi 7200 RPM 7K300.  Max temp during a parity check (about 10 hours on my system) is ~45C.  My prior 2TB WD Black parity drive hit 51C.  The parity drive is in the second slot from the bottom and right behind the fan.

Data drives get up to about 42C when spinning and actively being used.  This is in a warm room with ambient temps around 76 F.  It's a southern exposure and it warms up more than other rooms.

These temps are well within manufacturers specs.  The Hitachi spec say 60C max so I am not too concerned about sustained 45C during parity check

Thanks for the info.  The temps seem fine for 7200rpm drives ... and clearly the parity check temps are "worst case" for an UnRAID array.

I took advantage of a good rebate on a PC P&C modular PSU a couple weeks ago to prepare for this build (I was still debating between the Q08 and Q25 cases, so don't have the case yet) ... and before I ordered it I DID check Lian-Li's specs ... which show 180mm for the Q25 and 185mm for the Q08 as max PSU length.

AFTER I received the PSU and had decided to use the Q25, I saw your thread and noticed how tight the  CX430 was -- and it's shorter than the PC P&C.    Clearly the 180mm (7.1") spec is WRONG.    I have decided to use the case, however, so clearly I either need to use a CX430, another 5.5" unit;  or an SFX unit.    I think I'll just use the CX430, since it DOES fit and is likely a bit quieter than an SFX unit would be (since it's got a larger fan).    I'll probably just cut off the unused cables.

I'm also ordering some short left-hand SATA cables that should make it a bit neater on the back side of the drive cage.    This is a good source for those if you ever want some:  http://www.cpustuff.com/left-angle-to-straight-sata-cable/

Archived