New User, New Build. System not staying up for more than a couple hours

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Posted (edited)

Hey all. I'm new to Unraid and severs/ data storage, but not new to building computers. I've repurposed my old water cooled gaming rig and am having trouble making it through the SMART extended test for the HDD. I've currently got 8 HDD installed (will be 14 as I expand, but trying to start with fewer drives to get things up and running. Anyways, turned it all on today and I've had two shut downs, and one restart. Each time was after a couple hours of uptime. Twice the system just seems to hang, fans and everything still running but I can't get it to respond. Once it seemed to come back on it's own. Anyways, not sure what's up. Maybe I've got a funky setting somewhere.

edit: just checked and the motherboard is flashing the code for "System Agent initialization after microcode loading"

I'll check the CMOS and battery in the morning.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700

Asus Crosshair Hero VI

32 GB Ram (memtest passed fine)

1080ti

Thanks for any insight.

tower-diagnostics-20240511-2129.zip

Edited by skittlebean

Thanks JorgeB

This is my test run at server/homelab and I'm expecting issues and I really appreciate your quick response.

C-state was still in auto, so I fixed that. Also replaced the battery, it was showing .055V so it was all the way dead. Even if that wasn't it, glad I could replace it. This also gave me the opportunity to put a quick label on each drive and record their SN. I've got a bunch of used drives for this server and don't want to have to guess where a problem drive is whenever it conks out.

edit: speaking of which, looks like some of the drives are having issues but I don't understand what I'm seeing. On the dashboard Dev1 shows healthy and Dev2 shows error, but both have "Completed: servo/seek failure" under their smart report.

I can't imagine that "servo/seek failure" is possible on a healthy drive.

dev2 fail error.png

dev1 fail healthy.png

unassigned smart.png

tower-diagnostics-20240512-1259.zip