Pull internal 2TB HD from an external enclosure

j.metts

My local Target has "WD Elements 2TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drives" on clearance for $85/each. I'm planning on swinging by after work to pick up a couple, but before I do this, I wanted to see if anyone knew what WD drive is used for these. I want to buy a couple of them and pull the internal drives (voiding warranty, but $85!) to put into my server. Thoughts?

Warranty expired 10/14/2011, but according to what I just read, I should be able to get it updated to the date of purchase:

"By default, the warranty date is calculated from the manufacture date. However, if you have proof of purchase, we can update the warranty to calculate it from the purchase date. If you feel that the warranty date needs to be updated from the purchase date, please follow the instructions below.

Send us an email from this link:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Put in "Update warranty" in the subject line.

Attach a picture or a scanned copy of your purchase receipt (jpg, jpeg, or gif formats only, max 500KB)

Send the email.

Once we receive the email, we will verify the information and update the warranty accordingly. You will receive a response from us about the status of your email."

This is the drive on their website. It matches the item number on my receipt:

http://www.target.com/p/Western-Digtital-Elements-2TB-External-Hard-Drive-Black-WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN/-/A-12714787

The only difference I see is that the description on the website says the model is "WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN" whereas the model on the box shows "WDBAAU0020HBK-NETG". Not sure what the difference is. A friend actually found them when he went by the store yesterday. They have about 40-50 on clearance. My local Target no longer has them, so I went back to this one close to my work to pick up a second.

So, if anyone is in the DMV (DC/Maryland/Northern VA) area, this is the Springfield Target :-)

Item Numbers:

Online Item #: 12714787

Store Item Number (DPCI): 080-00-1082

The only difference I see is that the description on the website says the model is "WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN" whereas the model on the box shows "WDBAAU0020HBK-NETG". Not sure what the difference is.

Did a little research. Seems that the NESN version contains the WD Green drives and the NETG version is the one with the WD Black drives.

Archived