The Unassigned Devices plugin for Unraid frequently stops running

Go to solution Solved by dlandon,

Sorry to bother everyone again. I have been using the Unassigned Devices plugin for about a year to mount Synology shared folders over SMB on my local network, and everything has been working fine. However, a few days ago, I upgraded both Unraid and the Unassigned Devices plugin to the latest versions, and since then, the Unassigned Devices plugin has been frequently stopping. The specific issue is shown in the attached image. During this time, I have tried restarting Unraid and reinstalling the Unassigned Devices plugin, but these attempts have been ineffective. Please advise me on what to do.

屏幕截图 2024-05-17 082328.png

屏幕截图 2024-05-17 082347.png

屏幕截图 2024-05-17 082539.png

ud_diagnostics-20240517-083638.zip tower-diagnostics-20240517-0834.zip

• Solution

These messages in your log:

May 17 08:22:35 Tower unassigned.devices: Warning: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/remotes/DATASTATION_CloudNAS' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' 2>/dev/null) took longer than 10s!
May 17 08:22:45 Tower unassigned.devices: Warning: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/remotes/DATASTATION_media' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' 2>/dev/null) took longer than 10s!
May 17 08:23:05 Tower kernel: CIFS: VFS: Send error in read = -11

indicate issues with your network or remote server.  Your server is using only eth0 that is a Realtek.  Realtek NICs can be troublesome on Linux because the drivers are not well maintained.  There may be other issues with your network or remote server, but I would start by trying the following:

• Look at the release notes for 6.12.10 here: 
  • Use another of your NICs or set eth0 and another in a bonded situation using backup mode for reliability.
  • Check the logs of your remote server and see if there are any issues there.
  • Reboot your switch, router, etc to rule out network issues.
4 hours ago, dlandon said:

May 17 08:22:35 Tower unassigned.devices: Warning: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/remotes/DATASTATION_CloudNAS' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' 2>/dev/null) took longer than 10s!
May 17 08:22:45 Tower unassigned.devices: Warning: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/remotes/DATASTATION_media' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' 2>/dev/null) took longer than 10s!

indicate issues with your network or remote server.  Your server is using only eth0 that is a Realtek.  Realtek NICs can be troublesome on Linux because the drivers are not well maintained.  There may be other issues with your network or remote server, but I would start by trying the following:

• Use another of your NICs or set eth0 and another in a bonded situation using backup mode for reliability.

Ah, I see! So it's due to compatibility issues with the Realtek network card. No wonder it's intermittently causing problems and the connection is unstable. I'll try using the other i219v network card on the server now. Thank you for your guidance. I admire your breadth of knowledge and problem-solving skills.

9 hours ago, dlandon said:

I replaced eth0 with an Intel network card, and the SMB mounts have been stable ever since. The issue has not reoccurred, confirming that the problem was due to compatibility issues with the RTL network card. The problem is now fully resolved. Thank you.