Help to find spin down issues

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Pretty new to unraid, I think I have everything setup the way I want but what im noticing is that 2 drives always spin back up after spin down

Dianosticpotatostore-diagnostics-20240520-1744.zip 

Layout:

image.thumb.png.93e1d317813a4c74012868e580186304.png

These are the 2 drives that always spin back up :

image.png.22053df30dc03ecfcdb09347211d646e.png

When I try to run the Disk Activity plugin I dont see anything other than Cache. But then again I think its only showing the first 150 lines

Any tips on how to find whats going on ?

TIA

• Solution

Looks like the docker.img file (in the system share) is on disk1.   That means that any time the docker service is running those two drives will be spun up.  Ideally you want all of the 'system' share to be on the cache both for best performance, and also to let the array drives spin down.

Posted (edited)

**edit: 

When doing the steps below the containers were off but docker service wasn't disabled. After disabling the docker service the mover worked. The drives now spin down correctly

Ok I changed System to be cache, Stopped all the containers, enabled the mover. Once the mover was complete I enabled the dockers again. But I see its still utilizing disk1. Is there something I should do to ensure that docker.img is in cache and not on disk 1?

I also tried these steps: 

except for exclusive. 

From what I can tell it didnt move the docker.img to cache

/mnt/cache/system/docker# ls -lah
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 1 root   root   0 May  7 09:07 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 26 May  7 09:07 ../

Edited by chowpay
13 hours ago, chowpay said:

Ok I changed System to be cache, Stopped all the containers, enabled the mover. Once the mover was complete I enabled the dockers again. But I see its still utilizing disk1. Is there something I should do to ensure that docker.img is in cache and not on disk

It should definitely have worked if you did the following steps.

• Disabled Docker and VM services under Settings
  • Set the 'system' share with cache as primary storage; array as secondary storage; and mover direction as array->Cache
  • Run mover manually.  When this completes the 'system' share should now only exist on the cache.  You can easily check this using something like Dynamix File Manager.
  • Change 'system' share to have cache as primary storage and nothing set as secondary storage.
  • (optional) enable Use Exclusive mode under Settings->Global Share settings.  This improves performance on share that are all on a pool
  • Re-enable the Docker and VM Services

You could also use Dynamix File Manager to manually move the 'system' share from disk1 to cache if you prefer this to mover.

You should also make sure the cache has a Minimum Free Space value set that is bigger than the largest file you expect to cache (ideally something like twice that size).   This is to stop the cache filling up to far which can cause problems.

• 3 weeks later...