Help: Clean install Unraid without losing data on shares

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Posted (edited)

Hi. I searched around looking for an answer, but I haven't figured it out for my specific case.

I'm having an issue with an Immich instance that went sideways. Details:

1.) I installed Immich via the Docker compose official method found here. Everything was working great until it had some upload errors. To the tune of 670 photos missing. I decided to start over with a new instance and followed the instructions for removing Immich found here.

2.) It seemed to work so I went ahead and deleted the /appdata folder related to Immich. I've also deleted (to the best of my knowledge) the Postgres database using 

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/postgresql/data

3.) I went through each disk and confirmed that there's no reference to Postgres or Immich. There's only my personal files and the appdata I want to keep for Plex/Cloudflare/etc. And the other system folders that have always been there.

4.) I tried to rebuild a new instance of Immich the exact same way I did originally and I get all kinds of errors. "Cannot connect to database" being the most frequent one. 

5.) I used all the commands here to clean out dangling assets related to docker.

6.) I reached out on Discord and Reddit for assistance from the Immich devs and they said it should work so long as /var/lib/postgresql/data is gone. But it's not.

So I guess I need to reinstall Unraid and wipe out the gremlins in Docker.

1.) How do I eliminate all traces of Docker and "clean" install Unraid without losing the files already present on my disks?

2.) Is it as simple as backing up my key config file, wiping the flash drive, rebuilding using the USB creator, and starting a new config?

3.) Will that eradicate whatever broken database from Postgres is still haunting Immich leaving my personal files untouched?

I really don't want to move 40Tb of data (again). I have most of it backed up; but I'd prefer not to have to pull from my backups. And I'm only 90% confident I have EVERYTHING backed up. I'd hate to lose something I overlooked.

Edited by McWetty
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You can start with a new flash install, then re-assign all the device or copy super.dat from the old one, also need to delete appdata and the docker image to start over with docker.

Thanks for that response.

1.) If I just delete the docker image and appdata folders (without fresh installing Unraid) will it achieve the same effect? 

2.) How does the docker image get rebuilt by Unraid if I do that?

3.) If I only fresh install without deleting the docker image, will my docker database issues still be there after the install (do they reside on the array or the flash drive)?

I'm just not familiar with the underpinnings of Unraid just yet.

Edited by McWetty
  • Solution
1 hour ago, McWetty said:

will it achieve the same effect? 

Yes if you also delete the user-templates folder from the flash drive

How does the docker image get rebuilt by Unraid if I do that?

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/docker-management/#re-create-the-docker-image-file

Also see below if you have any custom docker networks:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/docker-management/#docker-custom-networks

If I only fresh install without deleting the docker image, will my docker database issues still be there after the install (do they reside on the array or the flash drive)?

They will be in the image, and the data in appdata, but you you'd need to re-add them to see them again.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/2/2024 at 9:55 AM, JorgeB said:

Yes if you also delete the user-templates folder from the flash drive

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/docker-management/#re-create-the-docker-image-file

Also see below if you have any custom docker networks:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/docker-management/#docker-custom-networks

They will be in the image, and the data in appdata, but you you'd need to re-add them to see them again.

This fixed my corrupted docker image perfectly and I didn't lose any other docker information. And no need to fresh install Unraid. Wins all around. Cheers!

• Like 1