How do i know what mainboaed is supported?

Hi All. 

Noob to the forum and unRaid but I have a question with regards compatibility of mainboard. 

I am looking to build a brand new unRaid setup based round an LGA1700 socket CPU and just want to find out how I can tell if the board will be supported. 

Looking to install eventually an LSI 9305-16i card, POSSIBLY an nVidia GPU for plex transcoding and down the line, another nic. I will be running various docker containers including PLEX and a windows VM that will only be running when needed.

I just want to make sure I am buying a board that will be supported but not too sure what to look for when browsing.

If anyone can give me some pointers, that would be ace!

Thanks,

Hal 

1 hour ago, hallamnet said:

! am looking to build a brand new unRaid setup based round an LGA1700 socket CPU and just want to find out how I can tell if the board will be supported.

There is not really a list of mainboards that are supported or not supported by Unraid.  Unraid works with almost any hardware and you should not find any problems with virtually any mainboard from a well-known manufacturer that supports LGA1700 CPUs and their supporting chipsets. 

Every once in a while a certain setting in the BIOS/UEFI may be needed to work better with Unraid.  I would suggest you research which mainboards might be of interest to you and then search the forums for references to those mainboard models to see what other users of the board with Unraid have to say.

Thanks very much for the reply! 

I have found the board I want that is going to be the Asus Pro workstation W680 IPMI Link to Asus site for W680 and have just bought it. It has all of the features I want and will save me having to get a controller card for a short while.

There's lot of people saying they have got it working but the ipmi card has a few issues with plex and quick sync that i plan on using it with but my end game is to get a GPU like nVidia rtx**** to do transcoding so not to fussed. 

I am still waiting for my ecc ram to turn up and will let you all know, when it gets here along with my case my results. 

Speak soon,

Hal 

Just for an update. 

Bench testing currently and I can confirm all is working well at present (Still waiting for case from Ali Express: - link to case on Ali express). 

• I am using at present, 1 stick of Kingston 48GB 5600MT/s DDR5 ECC CL46 DIMM 2Rx8 Hynix M (running @ 5400MTs just would not pass post) and this is working well @ 5400mt as conformed by memtest86 and showing width of 80 bits to indicate error correction. Plan to get another x3 sticks in the near future. Link to Kingston site
  • To get plex working with my i7 13700k CPU for hardware transcoding, I have had to buy and install and dummy hdmi adaptor. This is working flawlessly now. Link to hdmi on amazon
  • Currently using 8 sata HDD's from the main board and all picked up AOK via onboard x4 sata ports and mini sas x4 to sata. Link to mini sas cable on amazon

Only issue so far I cannot resolve and have posted a separate post about it is the internal speaker clicks rather than beeps. Not a deal breaker by far but would be good to get it going for notifications. 

I have an LSI 9305 on order and will update when I get this with my experience with the card.

Hope this helps someone!

Hal