Secure Delete/Erase

This may seem like a few very basic questions, but I've just sat and gone through Unraid Docs, these forums and google but I can't see anyone asking them.

Background: my laptop is currently dying so I've backed stuff up to my tower, and was reading about how to dispose of a laptop where everyone is suggesting wiping then physically destroying hard drives, so while I'm in the process of that, I'm also thinking about the unraid tower:

I delete things from various places (krusader (docker), filezilla (windows app not docker), qbittorrent, and recently using a Dynamix (i think) plug in which allows deletion from the unraid GUI). Are these being deleted in the same way, though? Krusader has a trash and a delete, but everything else is just delete. How do I know if they're actually being wiped or just moved?

I recently deleted several TBs of data and I actually now want to ensure that it is securely erased. I have Eraser for my laptop which can do numerous passes to wipe in accordance with various protocols, but I can't see something similar for Unraid. I've seen mention of DBAN or scrub via CLI but i'd rather use an interface, too.

Is a better option to use unbalance to empty a drive, preclear it, then repeat for all disks? Or is there another way to securely erase empty space? I don't want to erase entire disks, just ensure that what has been deleted is definitively gone.

Thanks

Nothing is ever wiped when deleted, just marked as deleted as usual.

For SSDs a TRIM will erase any free space.

For HDDs you can just

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/diskX/tmpfile bs=16M

It'll write a file until the drive is full, i.e. it'll have overwritten all the free space, then delete that tmpfile.

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Nothing is ever wiped when deleted, just marked as deleted as usual.

but it could be, right? with a program or plugin?

because like i said, i don't know what those commands mean, so CLI could be risky.