Server keeps dropping out

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hey guys, 

Not sure if I have come to the right section but am having issues with my unraid server frequently dropping out and looking for some guidance. I cant tell if it is my router or the actual server thats having the issue. If I can either fix the server or eliminate it as the problem then maybe look at replacing or diagnosing the router further.

When trying to transfer files from my PC and/or macbook the connection to the server drops out and the file transfer fails. No always, but enough to be a pain. When this happens, I cannot access the GUI over network either. This also when streaming content on plex and the media server says the file is no longer available. When this happens, the connection usually only stops for a couple of minutes, then is back up and running again without having to reboot either the server or my router. I just cant figure it out... :( 

- I have set a static IP set for the server on my router (Nighthawk RAX200)

- happens over wireless and wired connections 

- do have a network switch (edimax gs-1005be)

- the server is connected to the router as follows   router>switch>server

- no issues with any other devices accessing the internet or RPD between other machines when the server drops out

Please let me know if I need to provide any additional info :)

tank-diagnostics-20240613-2154.zip

• Solution
Jun 11 16:40:22 tank network: reload service: nginx
Jun 12 04:02:06 tank webGUI: Successful login user root from 192.168.1.15

These are the last two lines logged, suggesting it's not a server problem, when this happens again, see if the server still has internet connectivity, you can for example type in the CLI:

ping -c 4 google.com

• Upvote 1

Thanks for looking at that for me JorgeB, you're my friend, are a legend!

Following this, I decided to do factory reset on my router (swear I've tried that in the past before) and, so far all is looking good.

Hopefully it stays like that for a while! Paid a shit load for the router I'm using hoping it would handle lots of local transfers. Safe to say, I reckon I'll be giving netgear a pass when I do finally decide to grab a new one.

• Like 1