Lincstation N1 Licensing

Go to solution Solved by SpencerJ,

Hello!

I've been running Unraid Pro on an old server for about 7 years now and I recently purchased a Lincstation N1 which comes with a "basic" license.

I looked on the help website - with the changes to licensing the help page is confusing then did a quick search of the forums here - but could not find the answers to the following questions.

I am hoping you can help:

1) Is the included Basic license for 1 year of updates or "lifetime"?

2) Other than the number of drives, is there any difference between the included license and the Pro license I use on my current Unraid box?

I have a second pro license that is grandfathered as lifetime and never used - I'm trying to decide if I should activate the N1 with that or the included license.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

• Solution
1 minute ago, nonproductive said:

I am hoping you can help:

1) Is the included Basic license for 1 year of updates or "lifetime"?

Basic is an older, grandfathered license. The new equivalent is called "Starter".

2 minutes ago, nonproductive said:

2) Other than the number of drives, is there any difference between the included license and the Pro license I use on my current Unraid box?

No.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Spencer - is the included Basic license a lifetime license or 1 year of updates only?

Or maybe a better way to phrase that would be to ask if the included Basic license becomes a "legacy" lifetime license even though it is being activated after the license changes?

I just re read your message, and you already answered this. Thank you!
Sounds like the basic license is perfect for the N1.

Edited by nonproductive
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, nonproductive said:

Thanks Spencer - is the included Basic license a lifetime license or 1 year of updates only?

Or maybe a better way to phrase that would be to ask if the included Basic license becomes a "legacy" lifetime license even though it is being activated after the license changes?

I just re read your message, and you already answered this. Thank you!
Sounds like the basic license is perfect for the N1.

you are welcome! Unraid 7 also makes the array optional which might be best if you're running all SSDs. Here's a video:

There should be a follow on video showing no array, all-SSD pools out soon.

Ooo! This is good stuff. How did I miss this video before I bought the Lincstation? :)

My original plan was (2) 2.5" spinning disks for parity and 4 NVME for data - but I like this idea better and already have the 2.5" SSDs.

My use case for the N1 is intermediary photo storage and browsing. The workflow would be to copy from cameras/portable drives to N1 for fast access/organizing and then scheduled rclone jobs or maybe Syncthing for archiving from N1 to the main Unraid server with 90TB of space - so I like the idea of the array being optional.
I think I'll reset it and start clean that way.

You rock!  :)

• Thanks 1