Poor performance SMB copy

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Hello,

I am trying to transfer a folder available on an Unraid share to my Windows machine via SMB, but the transfer speed is around 3.81 MB/s.

copy-speed.png.f527362c13e70e8689a96a162df051cf.png

I don't understand why it's so slow...
The share is cache only (SSD) and my Windows machine also uses an SSD.

Attached diagnostics and iperf3 tests here.

I can't figure out what's going wrong...

Here is shares list and detail of share downloads 

shares_list.thumb.png.5aa70cabb6c3c90bc025d0bc80f65d6e.png

share_downloads_settings.thumb.png.9f77a0f4243404a923bde16874bd274c.png

Thank you in advance for your help. :/

tower-diagnostics-20240720-1412.zip iperf3-tests.zip

Edited by baban
  • Solution

What is your MTU setting?  (It should be 1500!)   Jumbo frames often causes problems...

Is the Windows client computer on WiFi?  Try a wired connection if so.

If that doesn't help, try rebooting the router and all of the network switches. 

• Like 1

Hi @Frank1940

Thank you for your response.

My MTU setting is at 1500. 

Capturedcran2024-07-20152103.thumb.png.9662aba90f0a990d8c74ca50b17f1956.png

Yes, my Windows computer is on Wi-Fi; unfortunately, I currently don't have the possibility to connect it via an RJ45 cable.

I just tried restarting my switch, and here's the result—it seems to be much better!

image.png.fdbdd54f9dfd1d5a97489f80ff678a9c.png

Do you know why the switch causes this?

Do you think switching to Ethernet will greatly improve the transfer rate?

49 minutes ago, baban said:

Do you know why the switch causes this?

All switches have a CPU, RAM and firmware.  Depending on many factors, they can run out of resources to efficiently do their job.

49 minutes ago, baban said:

Do you think switching to Ethernet will greatly improve the transfer rate?

The maximum Ethernet base speed is fixed-- 100Mb/s, 1Gb/s, 2.5Gb/s, etc.  What changes is the number of packets sent in a given time period.   The quoted WiFi speed is a maximum speed.  The actual rate will very depending on many different factors.  (Even someone walking between the client and the access point can impact the transfer speed.)  Plus, there can be more than one client trying to use the WiFi signal at the same time.  So you have to share the available bandwidth with that second client.  In virtually all switches, you have a dedicated link between the two ports on the switch which can simultaneous support two streams at the rated speed of the switch.  (Granted, you can have a third port connecting to one of these first two ports which will impact things depending on the exact data rates required for both clients.  But each port will continue to operate at its rated data speed.  The RAM is the switch usually buffers the packets so that the transfer speed is not unduly impacted.) 

EDIT:  One more thing with WiFi.  The upload speed can be different from the download speed depending on the signal level at the other end.  That is what gave me the clue that you might be using WiFi.

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1