Best way to use an SSD for docker and VM's

Good day All,

A new user to Unraid having just installed it on a HP Microserver Gen 8 with a Xeon E3-1270v2 CPU and 16gb RAM.

I know my way around servers fairly well as my current production MediaServer which has been running for many years is also another Gen8 running Ubuntu Server with the Arr-suite and Plex mostly.

So I should have asked this question perhaps before I started but anyway here goes.

This Unraid server is intended for use to serve Nextcloud where I will want to have files from mobile users sync to this instance.

I am running 3 x 4Tb SAS drives as the main Array and 1 x 4Tb SAS drive as parity.

I also have a Samsung EVO 870 256Gb SSD which I have left for now as "unassigned". I would like to use this for docker containers like Nextcloud and VM's to speed them up.

I installed Nextcloud per instructions from a YouTube video from Space Invaders and obviously its installed it on the Array. I can feel that its slow to react because of that.

What's the best way to use my SSD for the purposes I intend?

Is it for example to assign it as cache or use it as another "array" and tell the system this is where "appdata" and VM's should live ?

Hope I've been explicit enough and someone can guide be with the basics.

Most appreciated.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

move appdata domains system shares

You can see how much of each disk or pool is used by each user share by clicking Compute... for the share on the User Shares page.

48 minutes ago, phasor said:

speed difference

Another advantage of having these off the array is it will allow array disks to spin down, since these files are always open.