CPU/mobo upgrade worth it?

anthropoidape

Hi all, a quick question.

I have a working and stable unraid box, currently with 13TB of HDD space. It is running on an AMD64 3000+ and Asus mobo.

I have a Pentium D, one of the early dual cores at 3.0GHz, on a Gigabyte 8i945P Pro motherboard, sitting on a shelf from what was once my main desktop machine.

I have two questions (and probably more coming).

1. Is the CPU upgrade likely to show a performance improvement in any particular way? I am imagining write speeds might be faster, but on the other hand I wonder if the bottleneck in this system could be HDD r/w speed anyway.

2. Why do I have a vague memory that there is some issue with Gigabyte motherboards and unraid?

If the answer to (1) is "not much" then I probably won't bother messing with my stable NAS.

Thanks for any suggestions on this.

Jason

I'm not sure it is worth it.

If you have a stable machine, don't break what's not broken.

Plus, Some gigabyte boards have HPA issue.

Speed for unRAID is limited by HDD speed, controller and bus speed.

CPU only comes into play for plugins.

I've run unRAID on a celeron M-600Mhz and it was fine for basic NAS functionality.

If you were upgrading a system based on PCI cards to PCIe cards, then it would be worth it.

Thanks guys, I think you are right and I will leave well enough alone. The NAS does everything I want it to do now.

I will use that Pentium D in a PC I am donating to my brother's kids instead. Based on past experience it will take them at least two months to totally trash it so that I have to set it up from scratch again ;)