SOLVED: No IP address when viewing 'ifconfig eth0'

dave

Hi all,

I've got my unRAID server up and running, however I've hit a snag that's not allowing me to progress. When running the 'ifconfig eth0' command, I'm not receiving an IP address. Therefore, when I try to install unMENU, the server cannot access the internet to download the necessary files. I've tested the network on my laptop and the cable/router are good and I've also run the "SMART LAN" tool in the Gigabyte mobo BIOS which detects the 100mbps network speed and the length of the cable used.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing unRAID to not receive an IP?

Thanks!

Dave

Hi all,

I've got my unRAID server up and running, however I've hit a snag that's not allowing me to progress. When running the 'ifconfig eth0' command, I'm not receiving an IP address. Therefore, when I try to install unMENU, the server cannot access the internet to download the necessary files. I've tested the network on my laptop and the cable/router are good and I've also run the "SMART LAN" tool in the Gigabyte mobo BIOS which detects the 100mbps network speed and the length of the cable used.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing unRAID to not receive an IP?

Thanks!

Dave

1. You have no DHCP server on your LAN.

or

2. You have multiple NIC interfaces, and your cable is plugged into the other one.

or

3. Your NIC connection/jack is defective.

or

4. Your NIC chipset is not one supported by unRAID. (it has no driver)

Only way to know more is to see a syslog.  Attach a zipped one to your next post.

Joe L.

1. You have no DHCP server on your LAN.

or

2. You have multiple NIC interfaces, and your cable is plugged into the other one.

or

3. Your NIC connection/jack is defective.

or

4. Your NIC chipset is not one supported by unRAID. (it has no driver)

Only way to know more is to see a syslog.  Attach a zipped one to your next post.

Joe L.

Hi Joe,

I believe I've ruled out #1 by plugging in the CAT6 to my laptop and am typing this post on it right now. There is only one NIC connection on my mobo so that rules out #2. I've run the SMART LAN utility in the BIOS which detects the network speed at 100mbps as well as the cable length. The only remaining choice is #4, which is entirely possible.

I've looked at the forum sticky on how to create a SYSLOG, but those methods don't seem to apply to me because: method 1) I cannot connect to the network so I cannot log into the //tower, method 2) my unRAID server is not on the network so I cannot access the syslog.txt file in "My Network Places," and method 3) I cannot telnet into the server to do a copy/paste because I have no network connection.

It looks like I'll have to use part of method 3 by running the 'tail' command and re-type them into a forum post. :)

I'll report back soon.

Thanks again,

Dave

the NIC on the board looks to be recognized and the driver loaded.  I dont see any DHCP stuff listed though.

Can I see the output of:

ls -al /dev/disk/by-label

Image below. I've also underlined two questions lines that are appearing regularly - seems as though I'm missing two files? This is version 4.7 from the unRAID website.

unRAID_output.jpg

OK, so can we get the output of:

ls -al /mnt

ls -al /boot/config/

and

cat /boot/config/network.cfg

Also, try different USB ports and see if that makes a difference.  Also, which brand of flash drive are you using?

USB drive is an Imation Nano Pro (2GB, FAT formatted). Here is a picture of the output from those commands:

unRAID_output2.jpg

Also, here is a picture of the file system on my USB stick (config folder doesn't exist - should it? I assume so...):

USB_filesystem.jpg

Yes - you've got stuff missing.  There should be a sub-folder from when you create the stick (from the original ZIP file).

(I've seen this before)

That's what I was figuring...

Can anyone please provide a screencap of a known, good USB image (files/folders)?

In the meantime, I will follow the USB stick creation steps again and see if it changes.

Thanks all!

Mine's too complicated and would mislead you.  However, you should have one folder called config, and in that you should at least see the files

config

|---> disk.cfg

|---> go

|---> ident.cfg

|---> network.cfg

|---> share.cfg

It's down to how you unzip the file that you downloaded from Limetech's web site.  Other stuff will end up in there later as you set up the server.

Well, re-doing the USB stick fixed everything! I think I incorrectly copied everything over to the USB stick in the first place - all the files were in the root directory. I am now connected and have installed unMENU and going through the Configuration Tutorial.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!!

You're welcome.  I'm glad it's working now.

@ prostuff1 - sorry to jump in when I did but I saw exactly the same issue (and for the same reasons) when my boss created a stick for the first time.  A case of been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

No worries S80_UK, the more help the better.

When he got the output from the last set of commands I had him run I figured it was going to be something like that.

Everything is working well now! I'm preclearing the first of my three new drives.

Is it possible to preclear more than one drive at a time without using SCREEN? I'm going to need to pull the server off the network before preclear is complete (thus, losing my telnet/screen).

preclear1.jpg

Yes you can preclear multiple drives by just opening multiple telnet sessions.  If you are running the preclear from the system console then the ALT+F1, ALT+F2, etc will get you multiple windows.

NOTE: if you started preclear in a telnet session without using screen and you disconnect from the network preclear will stop running.

Yes, you can preclear as many drives as you want simultaneously while using screen.  However, if you are preclearing 2 TB or larger drives, a significant amount of RAM will be used.  If you have 2 GB or less of RAM, I wouldn't preclear more than 1 or 2 large capacity drives at once.  If you have 4 GB or more of RAM, then you probably won't have any issues.

Yes you can preclear multiple drives by just opening multiple telnet sessions.  If you are running the preclear from the system console then the ALT+F1, ALT+F2, etc will get you multiple windows.

NOTE: if you started preclear in a telnet session without using screen and you disconnect from the network preclear will stop running.

Awesome! Thank you! This will save me a lot of time. :)

I just kicked off preclear on my other two drives. Now I'll just have to keep an eye on temps - over 40C is considered bad, right?

Awesome! Thank you! This will save me a lot of time. :)

I just kicked off preclear on my other two drives. Now I'll just have to keep an eye on temps - over 40C is considered bad, right?

In normal operation yes, and high 40's is to much.  I have a few drives that hit 42 when a parity check/build is running.  42 is not to bad in my opinion.

Archived