[SOLVED] Problem with Verizon email and SSMTP

I installed "ssmtp_2.62" to send emails to myself from the unRAID server and I am having an issue.  Verizon started using port 465 for the smtp server with SSL security.  No matter what I put in the configuration variables I cannot get the email to work.  If I use the 465 port "outgoing.verizon.net:465" in the configuration, no matter what I put in the other fields, the test "echo -e "Subject: a test\n\nThis is the email body." | ssmtp -d root" will hang, until I kill SSMTP.  If I use the email server with the default port 25, ssmtp will send the message, but I will never receive it since they no longer pass email through the unsecure port.  Can anyone using Verizon tell me how to get this to work?

The contents of "ssmtp.conf"

[email protected]

mailhub=outgoing.verizon.net:465

hostname=localhost

UseSTARTTLS=YES and NO // tried both encrytion is SSL

AuthUser=myname

AuthPass=*****

FromLineOverride=YES

Thanks for any help you can give.

In case anyone is interested; I solved the issue.

The hostname needs to be a valid name, so I used the dydns name I have.  Also for some reason the outgoing port 465 does not work, it only works for windows applications.  It needs to be a different number  for the secure port (587).

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...