Getting 'Allocation' down on a previously full VM disk

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Short introduction: i have been a Synology user for 15 years. Lately i realized i'm using more and more Docker containers and VMs for my needs, and less the built in Synology tools. So i'm giving Unraid a try on a second hand Intel Nuc i bought, and i'm very impressed and conside rmaking the move to Unraid.

I have set up a VM with a qcow2 VMdisk of 100GB with a xfs filesystem. I nearly filled that VM disk experimenting but need around 30G as a baseline. I'm not bothered by the 'Capacity' of 100GB that the Vdisk could claim over time, but i would like to get the 'Allocation' number back down to the 30GB which is currently in use. I have added discard='unmap' to the XML of the VM and started the TRIM process from the Unraid settings. I also ran a xfs_fsr defrag in the VM, but the allocation doesn't come down in Unraid. Is there anything else i should do?  As far as i understand, i won't be needing to shrink the VM disk or the volumes inside it to make this happen, because when i epxanded the Vdisk earlier, the allocation only shot up once i started filling the vdisk with data.