Downloads and cache.

Go to solution Solved by strike,

So i've been messing around a little with Sabnzbd to improve download and unpacking speed.

Been thinking if it's possible to do a /mnt/cache/media/download and /mnt/cache/media/download/incomplete/ to bypass fuse and still have it all work together with the arr's.

To clarify a little media is a cached array share so normally a fuse share (/mnt/user/media/), i want to use /mnt/cache/media/ to temporary bypass that while downloading and still be able to use hardlinks to speed things up as much as possible.

Sorry if it's all badly explained, my english isn't really the best there is.

Try it. I don't think it'll work since hardlinks only works within the same share. Technically /mnt/user/media/ and /mnt/cache/media/ is the same share, but not the same path even if it leads to the same place files.. But try it and check in the terminal if it's working. I assume you have read the trash guide? He explains the command there how to check if hardlinks are working. 

Edited by strike

Are you referring to the "user share copy bug"? If so I think that applies only to disk shares and user shares in the array and not to and from pools. I copy/move files to and from my cache drives to user shares on the array all the time and I never had any issues. But yeah, never transfer files from a disk share to a user share in the array and vice versa. That can lead to data loss.

Okay, so i guess i had misunderstood what disk share was, i thought the /mnt/cache would be a disk share basically.

Guess i will be moving along with using /mnt/cache for download and have the arr's move it to /mnt/user with hard link after then, runs a lot faster. :)

Many thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, strike said:

Are you referring to the "user share copy bug"? If so I think that applies only to disk shares and user shares in the array and not to and from pools. I copy/move files to and from my cache drives to user shares on the array all the time and I never had any issues. But yeah, never transfer files from a disk share to a user share in the array and vice versa. That can lead to data loss.

Just reread this and i want to be sure.

The share i'm doing this on is part of the array, /mnt/user/media/ is on the array but also has a SSD cache.

Download to /mnt/cache/media/download sonarr then moves to /mnt/user/media/tv/ and later mover moves to array.

Sorry if i'm an idiot but want to be safe with my date. ;)

I don't see any issue with this. The cache drive is not part of the main array and should not be be affected by the user share copy bug. Please correct me if if wrong anyone. And also as the docs says it has to be the same "path" to the file for the "bug" to happen. 

/mnt/user/media/tv/file and /mnt/cache/media/download/file is not the same path to the file. They're to different locations. What would happen if you copy a file from  /mnt/cache/media/download/file to  /mnt/user/media/download/file I do not know since I've never tried that so sombody else has to answer that. 

Feels sketchy having to rely on a hard link move to having the file being added into the fuse layer which is why i keep asking.

Anyway, many thanks again for the help, i will keep looking at this for a bit.