Teamviewer into Windows VM on Unraid

I want to Teamviewer into my Windows server I have running on my Unraid server. I have a physical laptop that I can use with the lid closed because Teamviewer's virtual monitor option kicks in when I connect. It does not do this connecting to my Windows server VM. In fact, Teamviewer won't even connect unless I'm also RDP'd into the VM, then Teamviewer connects fine.

I've tried installing a virtual monitor from here:https://github.com/itsmikethetech/Virtual-Display-Driver?tab=readme-ov-file but it did not work.

I know the server is still accessible because I can still connect to a server application I have running in the session when I disconnect my RDP session.

I'm trying to give my friend access to my server via Teamviewer so he can manage the server application I have running there.

I would even be happy with it working if I RDP into the server and just minimized the session, but Ideally I'd like Teamviewer to just connect like it does with my lid down laptop.

Has anyone done something similar and got it to work?

Edited by Squirreljester
17 hours ago, JonathanM said:

To clarify, you are running the same version of Windows Server on the laptop?

Yes, 15.57.3.

For some reason I had the 32-bit version on my computer so I upgraded it to the 64-bit version. Still the same behavior where Teamviewer won't even connect unless I'm also RDP'd into the server and the RDP window is not minimized. When I minimize the RDP session Teamviewer just freezes. When I un-minimize the RDP window Teamviewer starts working agian.

Edited by Squirreljester
Adding information
On 9/1/2024 at 9:26 AM, JonathanM said:

that looks like a teamviewer version, not a windows version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions#Server_versions

Sorry, totally misread your comment.

My computer I'm connecting from and my laptop that the virtual monitor works on are both Windows 10 PRO 22H2, and my server VM I'm trying to get to is Windows 2019 Server Standard 1809.

6 minutes ago, Squirreljester said:

My computer I'm connecting from and my laptop that the virtual monitor works on are both Windows 10 PRO 22H2, and my server VM I'm trying to get to is Windows 2019 Server Standard 1809.

Teamviewer must be configured differently on Windows Server. Have you followed the instructions specific to server editions?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Teamviewer must be configured differently on Windows Server. Have you followed the instructions specific to server editions?

On the Teamviewer site in their knowledge base for servers it says "On server operating systems, TeamViewer Remote operates without any special adaptation."

Is there a link you can provide for what you're talking about?

Also, it does work if I'm already connected to the server via RDP, but if I disconnect or minimize the RDP session Teamviewer stops working if it's already connected, and doesn't connect at all if it isn't already connected when I minimize or disconnect my RDP session.

Getting back in via RDP makes Teamviewer connect and work again.

The whole reason why I want to use Teamviewer is I want to keep my session open but disconnected on the server, and have my friend use Teamviewer to connect in and be able to work on the server. I don't want to open RDP access to my server from the internet.

11 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

That's the same page I was reading, but from that page it shows a user and a server ID for the session. That was the key. When I connect via the server ID, I have to log in with my user account again but it works!

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Squirreljester said:

That's the same page I was reading, but from that page it shows a user and a server ID for the session. That was the key. When I connect via the server ID, I have to log in with my user account again but it works!

Thanks!

Yep, on server OS the console has an id, and each user has their own id. If you use the user id, they have to have an active session to connect.

That was why I asked whether or not you had the same version of windows on both machines, because server is treated differently and you said both were the same, so I didn't know what the issue could be if you had already configured the laptop server os successfully, there is no reason why the vm server os would act any differently.

Glad you got it figured out!

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Yep, on server OS the console has an id, and each user has their own id. If you use the user id, they have to have an active session to connect.

That was why I asked whether or not you had the same version of windows on both machines, because server is treated differently and you said both were the same, so I didn't know what the issue could be if you had already configured the laptop server os successfully, there is no reason why the vm server os would act any differently.

Glad you got it figured out!

Thanks for the help. I've never used Teamviewer on a server OS so I had no idea about the 2 ID's. I'll have to remember that for the future.