[SOLVED] High Water and Adding a New Drive

When I originally built my array I had 3 2TB drives and created 2 shares, "movie" and "movietemp".  I left the share at high water (50%) and after transferring my movies over the 1st disk was at 64% and the 2nd disk was at 50%.  I recently purchased a Plus license and added an additional 2TB drive.  My issue now is that when I go into Shares it shows that my 2 shares have 1.72TB available instead of 3.72TB (or thereabouts).  I also moved a few more movies to the "movie" share and they still ended up on Disk 1. 

My understanding of how high water works was that it would attempt to fill up a drive until 50% of the disk is used and the it will move onto the next available disk.  Shouldn't the new movies have ended up on Disk 3 since it's an empty disk?

Stupid question number 1:  Did you assign them to the array?

Yes. The drive is added to the array.

You could also have your shares setup to exclude certain drives, or only include certain drives.  At some point you may have setup that movies go on Drive1 & Drive 2.  If you add a Drive 3, movies will still only go to Drive 1 & Drive 2.

My understanding is that if you left include/exclude blank it would use all available drives. Is this not the case?

Try stopping and starting the array or rebooting.

I tried this a few times previously but I just restarted again and it seemed to recognize the new disk.  I hate that!

Also, if you have the Split-Level set wrongly for your shares then unRAID will not be able use new drives for added files because it will not want to spread the current folders across the new drive.  This is a very common reason for new drive space not being used.

After the last reboot it seems to be working.  I copied a new movie over and it's on disk3.

Thanks all for the replies.  Very new to UnRaid, but I love how helpful the community has been so far.