Help w/ Diagnosing Slow Parity-Sync Speeds

chanzer0
Go to solution Solved by chanzer0,

Hi All,

I'm new to unraid and recently built a PC to serve as network-attached storage. My specs are:

• CPU: Intel i5-8500
  • MOBO: Supermicro X11SCQ
  • RAM: 2x8GB Kingston DDR4 2666
  • HBA Controller: Adaptec ASR 7805
  • Cache: HP EX900 Plus 1TB NVMe
  • Parity/Disks: 3x Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC530 WUH721414ALE604 Enterprise Disks

The HDDs I bought refurbished from a reputable online vendor and are currently plugged into the Adaptec HBA controller. I'm using 1 of the 14TB drives for parity, the other 2 for disk 1/2 and the 1TB NMVE drive as cache. I set that up and started parity-sync and formatting the drives. However, when I started up the Parity-Sync and formatting, I noticed my speeds were incredibly slow... like 3MB/s slow. It estimated 50+ days to complete my 28TB parity-sync at 3MB/s which seems wrong.
image.thumb.png.86f1d1ba06a0d03eb7e224f93166cc64.png

I've attached my logs here to ask for any guidance in what might be going wrong.

tower-diagnostics-20241008-0938.zip

Also, here is the DiskSpeed diagnostic benchmarks if it helps:
image.thumb.png.23d87749b7c78dba73befe8a86a045f4.png

I ordered some SATA cables to try and connect the drives directly to the motherboard but those won't come for another few days. If I plug the drives directly into the motherboard and still experience slow speeds is it safe to say I got bad hard drives? Or are there other factors about my hardware or Unraid configuration that could lead to slow speeds?