Can someone recommend a good 4-Port Pci-e SATA card?

need to add the last 4 drives to my server, the Supermicro would be overkill (10 drive case, 6 ports on the MB)

I was going to just get a couple of the SIL3132 cards from Monoprice but then I saw

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=18428.msg164761#msg164761

"{SOLVED-Beware SiL3132} - How to determine which drive is causing sync errors? "

so I'm a little shy of them.. is the SIL3132 really bad? I see it's still on the recommended page on the wiki.

I have 2 of those cards, and am experiencing weird file corruption problems with drive attached to them.

Specifically the parity checks breeze thru a-ok every time, but if I run a file compare (across the network) against the source files copied to the drives, I get mismatches, and even better, the mismatches change everything I run the comparison. This doesn't seen to occur with drives hooked up to the motherboard sata ports (still testing this.) However, it's thrown a HUGE wrench into me trusting unraid to be reliable enough to hold my photography collection.

ok how about the SY-PEX40008??? Last comment I saw on them here was in feb/12 and 'working fine'.. before that was mar-apr/2011 and discussion about not working with various m'boards...

what's the word with 5b14???

I have the SYBA PEX-40048 x4 PCIe controller (based on the Marvell 7042 chipset) as opposed to the SY-PEX-40008 which used the Sil 3124 chipset.  I have had no problems with the PEX-40048 with 5b14.

need to add the last 4 drives to my server, the Supermicro would be overkill (10 drive case, 6 ports on the MB)

We always need more ports. Getting the 8 port is a better buy in the long run.

I have a adaptec 1430sa. Its a 4 port card that works on my  4.7 build. Can't say if it will work the same on beta14.

We always need more ports. Getting the 8 port is a better buy in the long run.
yeah but 4 fills up the case, if (when!) I need more I'll build up a second server, trying to avoid the all the eggs in one basket thing :)

Archived