UPS demands on a small unRaid server?

VelcroBP

I'm shopping for a UPS for my first unRaid build. It will max out with 10 drives, but probably stay ~6 for the foreseeable future. What size UPS do I need just to ensure proper safe shutdown in the case of an outage? Do I need to consider maximum draw of the drives? If not I could get away with a rather small/inexpensive UPS, could I not?

It would probably work - I see that it supports the USB interface which you need for connection to your server.  However, in my experience you will always find some other things that you would like to back up as well - maybe a desktop PC.  Then you can use the apcupsd software in both the server and the PC and the server can cause the PC to shut down safely when there is a power failure.  To make that work you also need to back up your router and / or switch so that the PC can get the message from the server after the mains power is gone.  So I would suggest adding a good 50% to 100% to the power budget.  Yes, it will cost more, but it will offer greater flexibility, and in the event of short mains failures the server may be able to keep running.

It would probably work - I see that it supports the USB interface which you need for connection to your server.  However, in my experience you will always find some other things that you would like to back up as well - maybe a desktop PC.  Then you can use the apcupsd software in both the server and the PC and the server can cause the PC to shut down safely when there is a power failure.  To make that work you also need to back up your router and / or switch so that the PC can get the message from the server after the mains power is gone.  So I would suggest adding a good 50% to 100% to the power budget.  Yes, it will cost more, but it will offer greater flexibility, and in the event of short mains failures the server may be able to keep running.

I think you should consider this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101381

Gives a little more headroom.