WD HDD warranty

I saw this on WD's site while checking the warranty expiration and entering an RMA for my WD HDD:

By default, the warranty date is calculated from the manufacture date. However, if you have proof of purchase, we can update the warranty to calculate it from the purchase date. If you feel that the warranty date needs to be updated from the purchase date, please follow the instructions below.

Send us an email from this link:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Put in "Update warranty" in the subject line.

Attach a picture or a scanned copy of your purchase receipt (jpg, jpeg, or gif formats only, max 500KB)

Send the email.

Once we receive the email, we will verify the information and update the warranty accordingly. You will receive a response from us about the status of your email.

I didn't realize that the warranty was from purchase date and not from manufacturing date.  This will allow me to get anywhere from a few days to a few months longer on the warranty.

Hopefully, it helps others too.

Depending on where you live this might be an incorrect statement out of WD..

For the Netherlands (and this is practically the same in European law):

- Warranty is given by the party you bought the product from (so not from the manufacturer, you need to claim warranty from the person that sold you the goods;

- 2 years of full warranty is standard, any and all "condition" that a reseller makes is invalid (eg: If a reseller states you have 1 year warranty then that statement does not have any value, warranty is 2 years.

- A product should remain without defects for a reasonable amount of time, now that means that 2 years is a mimumum but an expensive product that can be expected to last longer might be valid for a longer guarantee, no standards though and in most cases a court would be needed to decide so.

- Warranty is given by the party you bought the product from (so not from the manufacturer, you need to claim warranty from the person that sold you the goods;

- 2 years of full warranty is standard, any and all "condition" that a reseller makes is invalid (eg: If a reseller states you have 1 year warranty then that statement does not have any value, warranty is 2 years.

- A product should remain without defects for a reasonable amount of time, now that means that 2 years is a mimumum but an expensive product that can be expected to last longer might be valid for a longer guarantee, no standards though and in most cases a court would be needed to decide so.

Does that include the wife?

Does that include the wife?

Sadly yes ;-)

I can't speak for Netherlands, but I'd be surprised if it is much different from UK.  The protection given by law in UK (Sales of Goods Act) is not, strictly speaking, a warranty - it is a legal obligation by the retailer to the original purchaser.  If you buy a product as a gift, you can then pass the legal protection to the recipient of the gift by producing a document that states something along the lines of: "With the transfer of 'item' to 'person' as a gift, I also transfer my rights under the Sales of Goods Act".

If the manufacturer offers a warranty, then that is supplementary to the protection given by law.  The terms/conditions of a manufacturer's warranty may be better or worse than the legal obligation of the retailer, but it cannot negate that legal obligation.

I can't speak for Netherlands, but I'd be surprised if it is much different from UK.  The protection given by law in UK (Sales of Goods Act) is not, strictly speaking, a warranty - it is a legal obligation by the retailer to the original purchaser.  If you buy a product as a gift, you can then pass the legal protection to the recipient of the gift by producing a document that states something along the lines of: "With the transfer of 'item' to 'person' as a gift, I also transfer my rights under the Sales of Goods Act".

If the manufacturer offers a warranty, then that is supplementary to the protection given by law.  The terms/conditions of a manufacturer's warranty may be better or worse than the legal obligation of the retailer, but it cannot negate that legal obligation.

That is correct, in few cases the manufacturer may give "warranty" for a longer amount of time then the legal 2 years, if so, and after two years, use it !

Archived