Need to flatten bowed-out DVD

josetann

I have a problem with disc #21 of my DBZ collection.  It's bowed out just enough where none of my DVD drives will read it (I can lay it flat on a desk, and need to push in the middle to make it lay completely flat).  I tried it in two regular PC dvd drives, and in my laptop dvd drive as well (figured the centrifugal force would help flatten it out, but it didn't spin up enough, plus it was rubbing some so I chickened out and took it out).  Left some heavy books on it overnight, but it didn't help.  I was thinking I could flatten it out some while running a hair dryer over it, worried that'd do more harm than good though.

I can't just return it for another, it's part of an import set and was bought many months ago (it takes a while to get to disc 21).  I only need it to work for about 30 minutes so I can copy it.

Thanks!

It's commercially produced.  They're pressed DVDs not burned, and have super-neat designs (in other words, nothing we could do with a label maker or a printable disc).

What, isn't that how everyone checks that their discs are legit, by seeing if they have a super-neat design or not?

I found a site that recommended one use a steam iron (well, not the steam part) with the disc sandwiched between two sheets of copy paper.  It will make it bow out worse when warm, but you immediately place some heavy books on top until it cools.  I may have to try that.  I should have searched for ways to fix a warped disc, but since this one isn't exactly warped, I didn't think of that.

I had an issue with disc #16 too, but one of the three dvd drives was able to read it.  I wonder if it was bowed out too, just not as badly.  Guess I can check and if so, let it be the guinea pig (I already have it backed up).  If all else fails I'll see if I have the episodes on another disc (I have a lot of the Funimation released ones), but that'd make the collection out of whack (I can only assume there'd be some episode overlap).

This may be obvious, but experiment with heat by using a non-critical old disk, not the one critical one that is warped.

You must have an old AOL Trial offer disk laying around to experiment with.  (They sent one each week or so)  ;D

Joe L.

Update:  Tried running an iron over the disc (with it between two sheets of paper, label side up), no-go.  Then put it in a bowl of hot water for five minutes, no go (after doing both of these things I put the disc under a stack of heavy books to help flatten it).  It didn't make disc #16 readable in my regular DVD drive, but it also didn't make it unreadable in another DVD drive I have (so, it got no better, but no worse).  I then tried the hot water trick on the bad disc (#21, the one that's not readable by anything).  I got a little overzealous and was trying to apply some pressure to the middle to help bend it back in place while in the bowl of hot water, and it shattered.  I will now have to buy another set.  At least the other discs are fine as far as I know (still have two left to go).

Sorry Joetann.  Hope they will send you only the broken disk.

I also came across several people who said that storing CDs/DVDs in storage albums were experiencing warpage.  Someone guessed that the disks on the bottom of each page might be torqued and have the weight of the upper disks on them.  Mine seem fine but long term damage is certainly possible.  All the better reason to store your data on unRAID!

I found this link http://www.ehow.com/how_113957_repair-warped-cd.html that someone else might want to try in a similar situation.  The hot iron therapy seems risky. I think I'd do that as a last resort.  A little heat, firm pressure, and a lot of time seem the low risk, but likely not quick fix, solution.

In searching around I found a professional repair company (fixes scratches, etc.) that said they could not repair warpage - that it usually meant the aluminum substrate was damaged. If a professional company in that business refuses to make these types of repairs, success rates must not be very good.  In other words, don't feel too bad, your chances might have been low anyway.

Good luck!

better finish all the rest and then put your order... you never know, you may have to order more than one disk :)

The very, VERY last disk was also a bit messed up.  It was chugging along at 800-something bytes a second.  Tried it in various other drives with worse results.  So I end up popping it back in and doing a copy through the command prompt.  Takes a while but the two problem VOBs transferred ok.  I then moved them to the right directory, then copied directly off the DVD again so I could check the checksum.  Everything appears to be fine.  I put in my order for another Part 7 which includes the volume I need, really wish all three bad discs were in the same volume.  Oh well.  I did beg the seller to send me some loose discs if they had any, but I'm not holding my breath.

so how did they end up like that?

bad storage?

Don't think so.  Each box set came with three DVDs except the very first one which came with six.  They even come with a plastic shell around the whole thing.  Inside the discs are kept in hard plastic holders, so it's not like they were in a binder that's notorious for causing such issues.  They were then stored vertical, so no uneven pressure could possibly have been applied (even stored horizontally the risk would be minimal).  All discs were snapped in good, none had come loose during shipping (I did do a cursory glance of each one as soon as I got them, so I would have noticed anything like that).  Oh well, at least I only have to buy one $25 pack, though it'd be nice to be able to purchase the three DVDs I need separately.

Archived