First UnRaid Build (~12-15 HDDs, not budget nor beast, needs to be cool)

AndrewT

I’ve built several desktops but never a server before. I’m excited to setup unraid, as it is something I’ve been hoping to come across for several years now to free up my personal desktop. I’ve looked into many recommended builds in the 10-15 HDD range, but most are generally geared towards ‘budget’ single-core builds that are not particularly concerned with cooling. A major concern I have is that the server will be in a room that is 76-80°F, so cooling is a major issue. Let’s avoid discussion on dropping the temperature; it’s just not feasible anytime in the next couple of years.

**  = are areas that I’d really appreciate suggestions on, although I welcome all comments

Budget: <$700; I have $600 in Amazon gift cards I’d strongly prefer to use. I’m not looking for a ‘budget build’ that barely gets by with my needs, nor am I looking for a ‘beast’ performance build. I’m trying to create a strong build and avoid dealing with hardware-software compatibility issues, so an extra $50 for that is fine (but $100 extra is pushing it).

I will be using this unraid server for two purposes:

(1) accept Crashplan backups from 2 laptops (one mac, one PC) and 2 desktops (one mac, one PC). At most 1 will be backed up at a time, but I run Crashplan almost daily on my laptop (over wifi) so it will be used quite a bit.

(2) be a standalone setup to download, unpackage, rename, scrape, and organize media downloads for my 1 XBMC device to connect to

I have an AppleTV 1st Gen (no hardware mods) with XBMC that struggles to encode 720p over wifi, so if it’s possible I’d like the encoding to be done on the server.

Add-Ons:

• UnMENU

• Crashplan

• SABnzbd+, Couchpotato, Headphones, Sickbeard

• Transmission

• unrar

• unraid_notify

**I will have to read into it further for unraid compatible options once I have this setup, but I currently use TheRenamer to rename and MediaCompanion to scrape media for my XBMC setup.

Drives (up to 12-15ish capacity):

Currently, I have (7) x 2 TB WD Elements 3.5” externals I plan to break open and use as internals. Most are made in Malaysia which I believe are black caviars; very few are made in Thailand which I think are greens.

I was thinking of using:

(1) 2 TB WD black caviar as the parity

**(1) ~60 GB SDD as cache to install the add-ons

(6) 2 TB WD drives I already have as storage

My data grows at most 200 GB / mo. So, I’m not going to have a quickly growing library. After 5 years, this rate will give me 12 TB of data, which using 2 TB drives means I’d need a setup for 6 more HDDS (so 13 total HDDs).

The Build:

PSU: I have a Corsair CX430 that I’d like to use. When power demands increase as I slowly add drives, I can buy something larger.

**CPU: I’d prefer a multi-core AMD to save money but if there’s a good reason for a certain type of intel processor, I’m open to ideas. I’d  probably need to add a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for cooling.

**RAM: I’m unsure if I should just go for 8 GB for the small price difference of many 4 GB

**MOBO: the more I read, the more undecided I am in this. I’m considering the Biostar A880G+ but uATX seems unnecessary for what will likely need to be a full sized excellent air flow tower.

**CASE: I prefer sleek, quiet, and simple towers over mesh/LED lined ones but this is a tough one for me due to the temp it will be stored at; size is not an issue at all.

**FANS: It’s most important to me the temps stay low, but I’m willing to pay more (~50%  more) for quiet fans, because this is my working environment too.

Look at my build, in my signature.  I live in Philippines where the ambient temperature frequently exceeds 30C (that's 86F).  I have no aircon.

I maintain that, to obtain good cooling, you need to 'design' the airflow, not simply have a case full of holes.  I have blocked all the holes in my case, except where the fans are (extracting), and the front panel where all the air flows in over the drives.  My drive temperatures rarely exceed 42C, even during parity checks.

Thank you for your response, Peter. I will definitely control the airflow in my case as you suggested. So you simply use the stock fans that came with the case and that's it for cooling?

Do you use Crashplan with your setup in addition to the other add-ons I mentioned? I ask because the i3 seems relatively expensive for only being dual core.

Yes, I simply use the two standard fans, plus the optional 120mm fan on the side panel.  I cannot hear the server running from more than 3 feet away.  As you can read in my writeup, I removed all fans from the drive cages.

I don't use Crashplan, no.

My server runs as a print server (p910nd), an audio media server (Slim/Squeeze/Logitech), a mail fetcher (mpop), a mail server (Dovecot) and also runs unMENU, APCUPS, as well as running a few other unMENU add-ons, apart from its primary purpose of providing HD video files for two media players while cataloging and maintaining a database of all the video files.

The Biostar A880G+ is a solid motherboard, I highly recommend it for a problem-free build.  It has all the features you need for a basic unRAID server.  It lacks IPMI, but so does every motherboard under $180.  You'll definitely want a dual core CPU for all the add-ons you want to run.  Ignore the uATX form factor (unless you can find an ATX board for significantly cheaper).

The primary advantage of an Intel i3 build is the power savings (which also means lower heat production, which may be important in your build).  It is more expensive up front, but you will save money in the long run.  Granted, it will take years to recoup the extra money you will spend up front...

I agree that an aftermarket CPU cooler is a good idea in your case, primarily since you can use it to direct airflow across the hard drives and out the back of the case.

Your power supply has 28A on the single +12V rail, which supports up to 12 green drives or 7 7200 rpm drives.  Given that you are starting off with mostly 7200 RPM drives, it should work for a while but it won't give you much room for expansion.  Keep a close eye on your power consumption and be ready to upgrade your PSU whenever you add or upgrade drives.  If instead you swapped out all your black drives for green drives over time (which again might be important given your hot environment), then your PSU would likely last you much longer.

Any cooling considerations depend on the case and drive cages you choose.  Are you looking for a tower or rackmount build?  Are hot swap drive trays important to you?  How about trayed versus trayless drive cages?

If you can get 8 GB of RAM for a good price, go for it.  It will be more than you need most of the time, but it may come in handy once in a while for some of the add-ons you listed.

Your power supply has 28A on the single +12V rail, which supports up to 12 green drives or 7 7200 rpm drives.  Given that you are starting off with mostly 7200 RPM drives, it should work for a while but it won't give you much room for expansion.  Keep a close eye on your power consumption and be ready to upgrade your PSU whenever you add or upgrade drives.  If instead you swapped out all your black drives for green drives over time (which again might be important given your hot environment), then your PSU would likely last you much longer.

Yes, thank you for the warning. I will go for green drives from here on out... I just hadn't thought of that when picking up externals over the years so I'll just use what I have for now.

Any cooling considerations depend on the case and drive cages you choose.  Are you looking for a tower or rackmount build?  Are hot swap drive trays important to you?  How about trayed versus trayless drive cages?

I'd definitely like to stick with a tower. Hot swap trays and tray cages are both sweet, but I'm not willing to pay extra for them.

Archived