Seagate Expansion 3TB USB - $129

bobmagnuson

I placed this in my cart, entered the code and received "Coupon Error

We're sorry, the coupon code you have entered has previously been redeemed."

Today is May 19, 2012 so I'm in before expiration. Must have been a limited use with someone already using it  :'(

Amazon has it for the same price - no coupons needs and it is eligible for Amazon Prime - so free 2-day shipping. - http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STAY3000102/dp/B0056YNA1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337445130&sr=8-1

What is more interesting is that the HDD inside the cage is a $180 bare drive, this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844, I bought 5 of these  and opened it up to add to my server.

I RESCUED 6 of these drives. How these drives will survive in a skin tight case with no active cooling is beyond my understanding heat and hard drives. I believe they will run and last a long time with proper cooling.

The ones I purchased had ST3000DM001 drives inside.. wicked fast parity checks at 5.5 hr@145 MB/sec.

Well I have 6 of those drives - and have had them since late 2011, so far no problems - touch wood. In fact they have been awesome - fast and cool.

As for warranty after the first year it is all the same, except the money you saved or did not save when you bought them.

I was just trying to let anyone who is interested know that these drives here mentioned by the OP are available for the same price on Amazon without a coupon, if you don't think it is a good drive, you might not want to buy. ;)

As for warranty after the first year it is all the same, except the money you saved or did not save when you bought them.

Not exactly since once you rip them out of the external case you couldn't send them in for repair/replace under warranty during that first year unlike a bare drive.

I agree it (was) a good deal though and probably a good bet once 1 or more preclears are run while they are in the case to test them out before install.

Not exactly since once you rip them out of the external case you couldn't send them in for repair/replace under warranty during that first year unlike a bare drive.

I agree it (was) a good deal though and probably a good bet once 1 or more preclears are run while they are in the case to test them out before install.

That was what I was saying since I am already into 7 months of the 1 year warranty, only if something fails in the next 5 months then the warranty applies(that too limited) not after that. Question is how much are you willing to pay for that pseudo insured feeling - in this case the cost was almost $60 - that seemed excessive to me.

Again not encouraging you or anyone here to rip open the drive if you don't feel comfortable, just saying that in my case I'm very happy I did.

Archived