Why installing softwares on Unraid is not simple?

If I want to compile any software such as MySQL, Asterisk or Nano without using existing plugins here - thing get more complicated because you want to make sure it run properly when you restart your server.

If I understand correctly it has to reinstall softwares everytime you reboot via unraid boot script or something... It is bit of pain to make sure it is working correctly.

Just use the mySQL plugins available here. If you're on 4.7 then use unMenu do it all for you. If 5, then use the plugins.

unRAID boots off a memory stick into RAM, so any changes you make will be lost at reboot. Hence all data needs to be kept on the array or a cache drive, and the package needs to be re-installed at boot.

If you use plugins, it's not that hard at all ;)

unRAID boots off a memory stick into RAM, so any changes you make will be lost at reboot. Hence all data needs to be kept on the array or a cache drive, and the package needs to be re-installed at boot.

This is why installing software on Uniraid without using existing plugin is not simple.

I think this is biggest drawback on Unraid.

With respect, I disagree - in fact I think it is one of the *advantages* of unRAID.  Having the core running in memory means it performs extremely well.  The plugin system is really quite simple, and makes it easy enough to add further functionality.

If we had to constantly rely on writes to flash memory (USB stick) or similar then #1- unRAID performance would be slower and #2 - our USB sticks would die in no time.

There are plenty of linux-based applications out there that run in memory these days - ESXi (VMware hypervisor) is another example.  Consumer NAS (such as ReadyNAS, Synology etc) is another.  They all use a plugin system as well to keep their base OS (and their primary job, keeping your data safe) clean.

unRAID was never designed to be another flavour of Linux where you can install whatever you want, and I respectfully suggest you are using the wrong software package if you expect it to be so.  It would make it impossible to support and, quite frankly, why would you want to have an open-ended Linux system running a storage array that contains data you don't want to lose, unless you were a very skilled Linux user? (and if you were a skilled linux user, you'd be able to write your own plugins... hmm ;)

Archived