(solved) Preclearing drives

I have 8 bays (Icy Dock) that I use for my data disks.  I bought 10 new Samsung 2TB drives and am in the process of preclearing the drives.  I removed 1 data drive (sdc) so I could prelear 5 drives at a time.  The new drive is sdj.  I can format the other 4 (that did not have a drive in that bay) but I get an error message that "sdj is already assigned as a part of the unraid array.  Clearing will not be performed."  Is there some way to work around this?  Does this mean that once I use a disk in a given bay that I can no longer use that bay for preclearing??

I am running 4.7.

Tunetyme

I have 8 bays (Icy Dock) that I use for my data disks.  I bought 10 new Samsung 2TB drives and am in the process of preclearing the drives.  I removed 1 data drive (sdc) so I could prelear 5 drives at a time.  The new drive is sdj.  I can format the other 4 (that did not have a drive in that bay) but I get an error message that "sdj is already assigned as a part of the unraid array.  Clearing will not be performed."  Is there some way to work around this?  Does this mean that once I use a disk in a given bay that I can no longer use that bay for preclearing??

I am running 4.7.

Tunetyme

where is your syslog?  Is the disk controller slot with the disk to be cleared still assigned to the array?  The actual "device" names are assigned every time you reboot, in the order in which the disks initialize.  They can change from one boot to the next.

Are you sure /dev/sdj is the new disk you wish to clear?

Are you sure that the port it is connected to is not still assigned to the unRAID array?

If you have an active array, and you stop the array, and put another drive into the same slot, then unRAID is going to assume that you have replaced a drive. When you started the array, did it go into a data rebuild? Did you have to click a checkbox to indicate that you wanted to rebuild?

In any case, why would you remove a working drive in order to pre-clear another drive? If you're that impatient, then just hook up the bare drive to SATA and power connectors and go to town.

Do I need to reboot?

1st, unRAID is not hot-plugable.  Take a look in your syslog and see all the errors you are causing.

Always take the array off-line (at the least) before un-plugging any drive.

2nd, you must un-assign the drive you are removing if you wanted to use the same slot for a pre-clear.  Even that will not make the slot usable.  You must ALSO then set a new disk configuration. (basically removing that disk from the array)

Setting a new disk configuration will immediately invalidate any parity calculations, so upon starting the array, parity will be re-calculated.  Also, you must be VERY CAREFUL if you attempt to re-add the original drive back to its original slot.  Unless you AGAIN set a new disk configuration, the drive will be zeroed.  (not what you want if there is data on it)

Yes... reboot.

Joe L.

Now I've done it.  I replaced the original drive and it is disabled.  How do I reconfigure the drive?  The other data drives show up as unformatted.

unformatted simply means not-mounted (for any reason) including not-mounted because not yet formatted.

Again, to get assistance, post a syslog, and in this case, a screen shot.  (my mind-reading skills need a lot of work)

Did you set a new disk configuration?

When you say "disabled" on the original disk, do you mean un-assigned?  Or what?

Joe L.

bump

I am unable to find anything in the wiki to help with this.

Array Status STARTED, 5 disks in array.    Parity is Valid:.  Last parity check 3 days ago with no sync errors. 

Array Disk Status

Status Disk Mounted Device Model/Serial Temp Reads Writes Errors Size Used %Used Free

OK parity /dev/sdd SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7JD2B227180 25°C 44 24

OK /dev/md1 /mnt/disk1 /dev/sdf SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7JD2B227115 * 53 5 2.00T 1.98T 99% 21.52G

OK /dev/md2 /mnt/disk2 /dev/sdg SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7JD5ZC01566 26°C 46801 5 2.00T 1.55T 78% 452.13G

OK /dev/md3 /mnt/disk3 /dev/sda SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7JX0B900925 * 52 5 2.00T 1.92T 96% 81.85G

DISK_DSBL_NP /dev/md4 /mnt/disk4 2.00T 838.58G 42% 1.16T

Total: 8.00T 6.28T 78% 1.72T

UNRAID Drive

Device Model/Serial Mounted File System Size Used %Used Free

/dev/sdb1 usb-Kingston_Reader_SD_MS_AA00000000176750-0:0 /boot vfat 3.96G 128.84M 4% 3.83G

Cache Drive

Device Model/Serial Mounted File System Temp Size Used %Used Free

/dev/sde1 SAMSUNG_HD103UJ_S13PJ9CSB00035 /mnt/cache reiserfs 22°C 1.00T 555.40G 56% 444.77G

Drive Partitions - Not In Protected Array

Device Model/Serial Mounted File System Temp Size Used %Used Free

/dev/sdc ST2000DL004_HD204UI_S2H7J9FC309608 24°C 2.00T

/dev/sdc1 ST2000DL004_HD204UI_S2H7J9FC309608 reiserfs 24°C

/dev/sde SAMSUNG_HD103UJ_S13PJ9CSB00035 22°C 1.00T