When to upgrade from 4.7, to what, and how?

My unraid server version is 4.7.  Is it time for me to upgrade?  If so, to which version do I upgrade and how do I go about doing the upgrade?

I don't feel as if I'm missing anything, but then again I don't know what I might be missing. I do know when my hardware went bad and I replaced the hardware, I had to manually configure the drives.  Supposedly, that is automatic under the new releases.  That would be beneficial, in case you forget to print out the drive configuration.  Is there anything else I'm missing by not upgrading?

Thank you.

If you don't need >2TB drive support i'd say stay on 4.7.

My 3 servers with 4.7 are rock solid. Upgraded one to 5.0b14, well did go to 5.0RC1

but went back to 5.0B14 after issues.

I needed >2TB support so had to upgrade but all i've had is a world of pain with it.

Crashes, drives getting redballed for no reason. Its not ready for prime time use.

I couldn't resist after watching the 5.x development.  I updated to 5RC3 this past week-end....primarily for the UI.

My unRAID is vanilla, which factored into the decision but solid so far. 

Besides, since I had a full flash backup of 4.7..it was an easy switch if necessary.  I'd say stay on 4.7 unless your curiosity gets you!

Sorry to hijack, but I'm on 4.5.6.  I'm not planning on using >2TB drives nor use that apple thing mentioned above.  Is there good reason for me to go to 4.7?

Also, I'm leaning towards getting a Squeezebox Touch and would want to install their software (and plugin?) on the NAS.  Do I need 4.7 for that?  Higher?

Thanks!

Brian

(a serious network NOOB)

Yes..upgrade to 4.7

Advance Format support is the primary reason.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10483.msg99518#msg99518

Plugins only work on 5x. I don't remember if there is a 4.7 package for Squeezebox.

Well, I muddled through the AF description, but I'm not planning on adding new drives anytime soon.  Should I still upgrade?

B.

I would not.  Besides, the AF partitioning ONLY affected EARS drives that did not have a jumper installed.  It is not needed for any other drive or manufacturer, although any drive can work with it.    (The whole issue is because of one disk from one manufacturer who wrote crappy code...  Their competitors did not make the same mistakes)

Upgrade when 5.0 is stable.  (Lots of new features in the GUI you can possibly take advantage of)